Logo

Suzuki 140 cuts out

dpscll

"I have a 2003 Suz140 been run

"I have a 2003 Suz140 been running for 3 years. Very dependable and serviced regularly. Have a rare problem that no one yet has been able to solve though I have heard others speak of it. When running at 4500 to 5000 rpms, it suddenly cuts to 2000 rpms and engine bell goes off. I have to shut it down and restart which it promptly responds. After running for another 5 to 7 minutes it does it again, and continues to operate like this until I get it to the dock. Some days it does it and then others it won't. Since no overheating is indicated, it appears that it is a fuel starvation problem. I notice that the gas bulb is soft when it cuts out. I have tried changing fuel filters, pumps, all gas lines, including the gas bulb. Drained fuel tank and used new gas. Even have changed fuel brands and had it checked by at least 3 different certified Suzuki mechanics that cannot find anything. I even removed the anti-syphon ball from the head of the gas tank in hopes of fixing it. Nothing works. The only thing I wonder about is that it seems to do it more often after I have left the boat cover off and morning dew has gotton on the boat. This leads me to believe that condensation is getting into the gas somewhere. Any suggestions before I get rid of the motor?"

"hi Lee
If the primer bulb is

"hi Lee
If the primer bulb is soft, 1st check how it is when the engine is running normally, then at low throttle then at max they should feel the same. The bulb will only be hard when it is squeezed because the fuel pump sucks fuel through the bulb, but the bulb should be full (not collapsed and should only take a tiny squeeze to become hard. Otherwise check the Vent and try loosening the fill cap when it happens. From what you describe I think your on the right track, check for the fuel hose being pinched shut.
Maybe even put a short piece of clear fuel line near the outboard fuel connection temporarily and you might see your problem. If it is water you should see it when you clean your filter check the fuel by putting it in a glass jar.
good luck"

"Lee, i'm in the same boat

"Lee, i'm in the same boat as you. Same problem. Runs like a champ at low speeds, but then cuts out as if the rev-limiter comes on at the higher rpms.

hub's not spun, changed the racor and all that other jazz that you've done. i'm wondering, could it be something electronic?"

Check your battery voltage. Lo

Check your battery voltage. Low battery or a battery with a bad cell will provide less voltage than the ECM needs. The ECM (electronic control module) needs a good 12+ volts to run correctly. Had a problem with one engine breaking up at higher RPMs. New battery fixed it. $300 visit to the dealer to discover this.

Back