Logo

Mercruiser outdrive locking lugnut HELP

E

ErikCampbell

Does anyone know how or where

Does anyone know how or where I can buy a key for a stern drive lock for a Mercruiser Alpha One outdrive?

Can you show a picture of it?

Can you show a picture of it? There are a few different brands and it would be easier if we could see it.

"here is a pic<[img]"http://ww

"here is a pic
26382.jpg
"

"That looks just like the ones

"That looks just like the ones by the main company that makes wheel locks for cars. The other main transom lock has a nut with a loose sleeve around it, which makes it really hard to remove, since the nut can't be grabbed by a pliers or wrench. I would call West Marine or other major supplier and see if they have a phone number or website for this company. McGard is one company but their current locks don't look the same as yours and they're the only brand carried by my supplier.

To me, it looks like a wheel lock and the previous owner may have just used one of them instead of buying one. If it's old enough, they may not have been available at the time. Does the trailer have wheel locks? Can you contact the previous owner to get the key? You might be able to file a couple of flat spots on it and use a Channel Lock pliers. PB Blaster is the best penetrant I have seen and you'll need something to get into the thread. Also, use a metal rod and pound on the end to break it free."

"Eric,
Just grind a flat spot

"Eric,
Just grind a flat spot on each side with a die grinder or dremel tool then either clamp vise grips on it or if you are real good you can grind it so a wrench will fit it. If that doesn't work weld a nut on the end of it and use a wrench to remove it.

It's not a good idea to ever hit something with a hammer. A little heat with a home propane torch will be just fine to help free the lock.
If you heat the lock on the outside end then spray WD40 or other type product on the end of the lock by the drive it may draw the oil into the threads, kind of like sweating a copper fitting if you know what I mean.

Good luck."

"they make wheel lock removers

"they make wheel lock removers... sockets with reverse threads that go over the outside of the wheel lock. Any good auto parts store. Would also suggest you grid flat spots and go that route. Propane torch is not likely to remove it. Oxy Acetyline torch would, but i wouldn't try as you may ruin the stainless stud or alter the anneal of the aluminum drive housing.

Hays"

IT'S FIXED.I CUT A NOCH AN

IT'S FIXED.I CUT A NOCH AND TOOK A HAMMER AND SCREW DRIVER HIT IT ABOUT TWICE AND IT CAME RIGTH OFF.THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.
ERIK

Back