Logo

Dangerous Shift Condition When Hot

volphin

"Hi all, my 89 Regal with a 4.

"Hi all, my 89 Regal with a 4.3LX has developed an odd shift problem. Under normal operation she shifts fine. Run her for an hour up the lake and decel to idle she has trouble finding neutral... to the point I about smacked a dock. !! Usually, when I'm docking I'll be in idle fwd, then move to neutral and there is a slight delay and a click (almost an electrically disengaged click) then neutral is achieved. Now after a good hard run she is either in idle fwd or idle reverse. If I wiggle the selector it seems to help find it. What causes this strangeness? I do not care for this sticky throttle nonsense. ;)

Thanks!"

"sounds like shift interrupt s

"sounds like shift interrupt switch. does it shift ok. on flusher? test switch running (on flusher) in nuetral lift switch from cable arm (on engine) engine should stall. try to move shift arm. switch should stall engine 1/2-3/4 up ramp. You can bend to adjust.(consult manual for exact dimensions) if switch is bad, You will need to replace with upgrade, as they no longer make the switch."

"Bill,
If you have never had

"Bill,
If you have never had the lower shift cable replaced this could be the problem.

Best to have it checked because they do not give much warning before they fail and leave you stranded. Look at this as the only warning you will have. It could break at any time if this is the problem."

Back