Logo

TAMD41Abs lots of black smoke

rcolano

"i have just purchased an 86 4

"i have just purchased an 86 41' cabin cruiser w/ some KATRINA rash. It has the TAMD41A engines, i have only had it out once to move it from one marina to another. On this 60 mile trip the engines beched out black smoke like a locamotive at all speeds. It has some type of "smoke limiter" butterfly vales in the exhaust manifold which are operated by electric solenoids (mine have been disconnected) while you would think this to be the obvious problem and i will have them in working order b 4 relaunching in NOV> i suspect that they only reduce the smoke under acceleration and not while at speed. The engines have only about 1200 hours on them. I am leaning toward a possible problem to d with to much fuel from the injector pump or its timing of the fuel delivery to the cylinders. I am pretty good withj the gas engines but have had little experience with diesel repair. Any help will be welcomed
thanks Rich Colano"

"Volvo AQAD 40 Overheating
a

"Volvo AQAD 40 Overheating
at higher RPM. No overheat at 2,100-2,800 Rpm. have checked water pump, filter, cleaned heat exchanger. Suggestions?}}"

"Check aftercooler core, oil c

"Check aftercooler core, oil cooler and exhaust elbow outlets."

"The first thing you need to i

"The first thing you need to is to check the air filter if any and pull the injectors. If there is soot on the tips clean the with a soft wire brush. Caution on damaging the tips when cleaning. If this does not work replace the injectors. If turbo charged, is the turbine free to rotate? Check by spinning by hand when the engine is NOT RUNNING! The black smoke is caused by poor air to fuel ratio. Follow the combustion triangle and you will be able to solve the problem."

Back