Logo

Water Separators

maxtor

Contributing Member
"These gas line water separato

"These gas line water separators, is there a trick to getting them off to replace them? Do you have to release pressure from the gas line or something first? The guys at the marine shop that installed mine, put it in a place where I can't get a filter wrench on it to loosen it. Trying to get it off by hand, thought maybe there was some pressure in there holding it tighter...."

Are we talking about an oil fi

Are we talking about an oil filter type separator?

no pressure. can't get a b

no pressure. can't get a band wrench on it? how did they get it on? may have to remove assembly (including head). use oil on gasket. it's not there to seal. its there so you can get it off.

"Sorry, wasn't aware that

"Sorry, wasn't aware that there was more than just the oil filter type separators...

I'm not real sure how they got it on. I had trouble a while back with water in my gas and they installed this water separator kit then, when I got it fixed. I got looking at it more and it looks like they put the filter on BEFORE they installed the head. The bottom of the filter is so close to a bracket or something near the front of the motor that I can't slip the filter wrench underneath it."

"Lee: Can you get a CUP type

"Lee: Can you get a CUP type filter wrench on it from the bottom and turn it with a ratchet wrench? Take the new filter (same on it now) to an auto parts store and buy a QUALITY cup filter wrench and you solved your problem. A CUP filter wrench (get the deep type, shallow types slip easy) is like a giant socket that fits on the bottom of the filter that has indentations on it to hold the wrench. It usually need a 3/8 inch drive wratchet wrench with or without an extension. You may need to hold it in place so it won't slip. Put the new filter back after applying some light lube on the gasket. Make sure the old gasket came off with the filter. I like to use a tiny amount of NEVER SEIZE lube since it has graphite in it and will not lock in place. Vaseline or engine oil works too. Follow the directions for the filter tightening specs."

"okay, got it loosened. Found

"okay, got it loosened. Found a filter wrench that was strapping and was able to get it behind it.

Now, does the fuel get shut off or anything like that? I assume there is going to be some fuel draining from this baby cause it has to be full. Or is it just like a fuel filter on a vehicle and the fuel flows as your changing the filter??"

There will be some fuel that w

There will be some fuel that will come out. If you can put a drain pan under it. If not even rags will be better than nothing.

Not knowing what you have I can't say how much fuel is going to come out but you can expect any fuel that is in the line above the filter to the carburetor is going to drain back.

It's a good idea to ground yourself so you do not make any sparks by moving on the carpet if you have any.

The "trick" is to lubr

The "trick" is to lubricate the gasket on the cartridge when you put the new one on. Seriously.

Jeff

"Well, the guys that installed

"Well, the guys that installed it must not have lubricated it because man oh man, that baby was on there TIGHT. I've never seen a filter on as tight as that one was. I did like mentioned above and put a bit a anti-seize on it when I installed the new one....."

Back