Logo

UPDATE43LX Cold Start Problem Fixed

rod_stewart

Outstanding Contributor
"This is a follow up to a topi

"This is a follow up to a topic originally started Sept 19 by Mike S; about a 4.3LX that is hard to start after sitting idle for a few days. My 1996 4.3LX has had the same problem since day one.
Following an idea suggested in that topic, last weekend I wired up an automotive momentary contact pushbutton switch to run the electric fuel pump just before starting; so as to refill the carb bowl with fresh gas. I am pleased to say it works perfectly. With the switch pushed, I could hear the pump working for about 4-6 seconds, then it cut out, presumably when the carb bowl was full. Then following my normal cold start procedure I gave her one small throttle shot in neutral lockout, and hit the start key. Bingo, she started right up on about the second or third firing stroke and ran perfectly.
The pushbutton switch is rated at 15 amps, and I installed it in a 5/8" hole just beside my key switch. I took a +12 volt feed from the "I" terminal of the key switch. (This terminal is hot with the key "ON". This means the pump cannot be activated without the key on, which I figure is a good idea.) Then I ran a single 14 gauge wire from the other terminal on the switch back to the engine and connected it to the existing purple/yellow wire running from the starter solenoid to the electric fuel pump. This effectively bypasses the oil pressure switch and feeds +12 volts to the pump when the switch is pushed, only when the key is "ON". Pretty simple job, it took about an hour to do once I got to it.
Many thanks to rchris, Fastjeff, and Guy G. for all the good advice in the original posting.
Rod"

Back