Logo

Winterizing 1999 Mercruiser 30 L wPower Steering Help Needed

hotshot

My boat is a 1999 18' Sea

My boat is a 1999 18' Sea Ray 180BR and has a 3.0 Mercruiser w/Power Steering.

I've ordered a manual but need quick help since we're supposed to get snow later this week.

I drained the block but want to be sure that I drain everything else before I put RV antifreeze in. Does anyone have an electronic version of the manual that shows the drain spots and procedures that I can use until my manual comes?

Any help will be appreciated.

Paul Parsons

"Paul,

There is one block d

"Paul,

There is one block drain, one manifold drain and one elbow drain. There is also a PS cooler drain. You will find it easier to remove the supply hose at the thermostat housing and dump AF back through it. That will flush the cooler. When you see pink coming out by the prop, you will know you're OK. After draining the block and manifold, backflush them too. Make sure pink is coming out the drains.

It can't get cold, I'm not done boating yet."

"Rick,

Thanks. I found the

"Rick,

Thanks. I found the block and manifold drains. Still searching for the elbow and PS cooler drains. Good thought to backflush and to use the thermostat hose - a lot easier than what I'd planned. Going to fog it too and redrain everything before the snow flies. Was 76 degrees here yesterday - will be 40 on Friday. Crazy.

Paul"

"Paul, the elbow drain is real

"Paul, the elbow drain is really only needed for closed systems. Your elbow will drain back through the manifold so no need to worry."

"Mine was that way too.

Jef

"Mine was that way too.

Jeff

PS: That 'Global Warming' is hell, huh? What a bunch of bull! And what of "terrible" hurricanes we were supposed to have again this year, caused by you know what? "

"Hi Jeff and all,

Ditto on

"Hi Jeff and all,

Ditto on the Al Gore "give us a grant folly". They had 2 feet of snow just down the road last night.

I winterized my 3.0L except I haven/t done anything with the power steering cooler - not sure quite what to do - I think it's in back of the engine (looks like an 8 or 9 inch cylinder). Do I just pull one or both hoses off it and let them drain or what. The rest of winterizing this thing was a cake walk.

I'd be happy to write up what I've done and how if it would help anyone.

I'll understand it better when my manuals come.

Thanks loads for all the help and advice.

Paul"

Back