Logo

Gimbal Ring

regalman

"Well, sadly it's the end

"Well, sadly it's the end of the boating season here in upstate NY and i just pulled my 19' boat out for the winter.
The gimbal ring and steering spline is badly worn out and I would like to replace them over the winter.
Can anyone give me an idea of what I can expect to pay to have these replaced? Also, is this something that I could do since I am mechanically inclined?

Thanks"

"I just got done replacing the

"I just got done replacing the gimbal housing and ring on my 27' Four Winns. After reading the book on how to change the ring while the housing is still on the boat, I found it actually easier to just pull the entire gimbal housing, and it's a great time to replace the transom seal,bearing,etc. as well and get everything cleaned up. And I too have never done this until this time. The best place to find a good deal on one is on ebay. I got a brand new housing for $300.00"

"Joe,
There are many venders

"Joe,
There are many venders on this site that sell the parts you'll need.

As well you may want to check with the folks at amarket.com.
I have never had any problem when dealing with this company.
They sell all the parts you'll need and have any special tools needed to do the job correct.

If you have a problem someone will get on the phone with you and walk you through it at no charge.

Plus the parts are very reasonable as well as the tools.

Since you have all winter take you're time on this job. It will seem a lot less work if you do.

Have fun and a safe winter."

"Thanks for the input. You&#39

"Thanks for the input. You've been a great help.
The mechanics who usually work on my boat are working up costs for me so that I can make a decision.
If I choose to do this myself, is the manual the best for instructions or is there a better place to get them. Some are telling me the engine has to come out and some say it can all be done externally. If it can be done externally I might give it a shot.

Thanks"

"Joe,
Are you replacing the g

"Joe,
Are you replacing the gimble ring or the gimble housing?(gimble ring holds the drive,gimble housing holds the ring to the boat)
If you are just replacing the gimble ring you should be able to do the job without removing the engine.

If the transom plate or the gimble housing is needing replaced then the best way is to remove the engine or at least move it forward enough to service these parts.
Since the transom plate and gimble housing are what holds the rear of the engine the engine has to be taken off of it's rear mount.
If you have not done anything like this it would be wise to have it done.

This can be done without taking the engine out of the boat but the engine must be moved forward and blocked so it will for one not fall on you,two it will not cause any damage to the boat from not being blocked correct.
Of course this is if there is enough room to move it forward out of the way.
If there is no room to move it forward and block it then the engine must come out.

I guess that you need to find just what parts need replaced then decide if this is a job you can do or not.

If it's just the gimble ring I see no problem. You will need a good manual that venders on this site sell and some special tools as well."

Back