Logo

Omc 120hp gm 4 cyl gas front oil seal leaks

J

james nelson

"I removed front belt pulley t

"I removed front belt pulley to get to the front oil seal,and found a flange on the front of crankshaft simular to whats on the rear of the crank that flywheel bolts up to, how do you remove flange? There are no bolts or nuts that hold it on. i can see the start of a keyway, Is it pressed on or reverse threaded, it has got to be removable to get to the front timming cover oil seal. please help thanks james"

"If you are talking about the

"If you are talking about the balancer the pulley bolts to, you need a balance puller / installer to remove and install this part.

Harbor freight is a good place to find this tool for the home user at a fair price.

A NAPA store or other parts house will have the tool as well but it will cost much more and the tool is not any better than the Harbor tool in my opinion.

Whatever you do please do not listen to people that tell you that you can install this part with a hammer. It can and will cause damage to the bearings inside the engine if you do this.

The correct tools are cheap and well worth having."

"Charli. There are no provisi

"Charli. There are no provisions for using a tool to install the balancer on a gm 2.5/3.0. The manual (Merc and OMC) tells you to put it on with a hammer. I have done so many times without incedent. I am very careful about bashing it to hard which will damage the thrust bearing. I have since made an adapter to press it on but this a bit out of the realm of the home mechanic. For all others use the proper tool (of course), but there isn't one for these or the 250 inline 6. This is the only down fall I have found on these great little motors."

Back