Logo

Starboard engine wonbt turn over

tiara33

"1990 Crusader 454 won't t

"1990 Crusader 454 won't turn over. Did have battery problem, so replaced batteries, but engine will not turn over at all. When I turn the ignition on, the engine temp light goes on immediately.

I should mention that battery properly hooked-up and that starter is getting electricity, as it gets hot when I try and start it. I checked connections to make sure they were tight, but did not disconnect, clean and reconnect any connections.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Mike"

"Uh-oh. Sounds like you might

"Uh-oh. Sounds like you might have sucked some water into the motor (those motors are famous for that) or dropped a valve.

How was it running when shutdown? If okay, I suspect water got in.

Pull all the plugs out and turn it over, if can, with a socket on the damper pulley.

Good luck!

Jeff"

"Mike, We need a little more

"Mike, We need a little more information to be able to help you. You have to determine if you have a starter/electrical problem, or an internal engine problem.

Is the starter attempting to engage? Is it at least clicking? If not, check for voltage at the starter, check for voltage at the yellow/red solenoid wire at the starter. Check your ground connections.

Let us know more about what is going on and we'll be happy to help you better.

Rick"

"Jeff, I may go with the dropp

"Jeff, I may go with the dropped valve theory because I was having lifter problems previously...does that sound logical? I am just going to have a mechanic check the whole thing out unless there are some easy things that I can check first.

Rick, The starter does click but that is it...the last time I tried it, it almost turned over but then just went dead again (only clicking of starter). Then today, I went down again to take a look and only got the clicking out of the starter.

I really appreciate your help.

Mike"

"Jeff or anyone else,

bear

"Jeff or anyone else,

bear with me here, I am a novice...what exactly do you mean by remove the plugs? Remove all of the spark plugs from motor, remove plug wires from plugs, something else?

And, if I remove the plugs and turn over the engine, what does that tell me... and assuming it turns over, what is my next step...I am learning as I go here and truly appreciate all of the help.

Also, per Rick's advice I will also check the electrical components.

Thanks

Mike"

"Remove all the spark plugs an

"Remove all the spark plugs and try to turn the motor over. If the starter won't do it, use a socket on the damper pulley. If you can't get it to move, or you see water squirting from the plug holes, you'll know it has to come out.

Sorry.

Jeff"

"well, I checked all electrica

"well, I checked all electrical connections and it did nothing. So,I took out the plugs from the easy side of the engine. the first plug I took out closest to exhaust looked awful...possible evidence of water? Each plug thereafter looked progressively better. After removing the plugs from one side I tried to turn the engine over with the starter. It turned over for a few seconds and then stopped again. I ran out of time so I couldn't pull the plugs from the other side to see what happens...doesn't look good though...

Mike"

Back