Logo

30 181 4 Cyl Front Crankshaft Flange Removal

bertg

Regular Contributor
I need some help here. Bought

I need some help here. Bought the above siezed engine in a Seaswirl. It had water/rust is No. 2 cylinder. I can't see how to remove the front crankshaft flange. The pulley came off with three bolts. I have put a puller on it with no luck. What am I missing here?
My Clymer Manual doesn't mention much other than to pull it. There is no center bolt in the crank.
TIA
Bert

harmonic balancer maybe? 6 or7

harmonic balancer maybe? 6 or7 inch wheel with timing marks? if so there should be a center bolt. probably had to remove it to get pulley off. correct puller has 3 slots. bolts to same holes that hold pulley on. BE CAREFULL not to damage threads in crankshaft center. if You do You've ruined crankshaft. with correct puller it will come off. they are tight. may have to hold flywheel or balancer to prevent engine spinning.

"This is the only downfall of

"This is the only downfall of the 3.0l that I have found. There is no center bolt or threads to install one, which means you must build an adapter to install the pully flange or beat it on with a hammer (as per mercruiser manual). Removal is the same as any other harmonic balancer. Use a harmonic balancer puller, you can usually rent them. Apply pressure to the puller and tap the certer shaft with a hammer. Apply more pressure and repeat. A slathering of PB Blaster or other lubricant will aid in breaking the corrosion. It will come off, be patient. When re-installing be patient again. Don't bash the crap out of it, this can and usually will damage the thrust bearing. Take your time and you'll be ok. I used a fairly heavy hammer with light taps in a circular motion around the flange. I have since made an adapter from a front mount and can now press it on."

Back