Logo

RPM

hoys2006

"1973 302 Ford/w MR drive on a

"1973 302 Ford/w MR drive on a 22ft solid foam core cuddy cabin only pushes around 3200 rpm WOT and 17 knots. I feel I should be getting higher speed and Rpm but it is real tough to even plane off and when it does plane she drops back after a few minutes, motor and drive were rebuilt 100hrs runs real smooth. My prop has a few nicks nothing extreme,should I be looking for any other culprits or is this all I should be pushing,previous owner never ran the boat very hard atmost maybe 2800 up the river.
Thanks for you time and happy sails!"

"Check the prop's pitch an

"Check the prop's pitch and if it's too steep, that will limit the speed and RPM. Dings will have more of an effect than you think. How clean is the hull? If it's really bad, you'll lose speed. You may have some alignment issues, too."

"Alighnment? I didn't thin

"Alighnment? I didn't think of that, I am hauling out when this Nor'easter passes. Would my alighment effect it that bad I thought that there would be alot of vibration. The Hull is green, now that I can see it with the Big rollers pushing in the cove. Thanks for your insight."

Back