Logo

50 problems

J

jarednk

"ive posted multiple times on

"ive posted multiple times on the volvo side with no replies so i'll try here. I have a 94 5.0FL volvo with some problems. It runs smooth at idle but if you puch it, it will die. i kinda just have to ease up the throttle to get to speed. I believe WOT on this motor should be 4200-4600RPM but i am lucky to get 3200-3400. I have cleaned the carb & fuel tank.New filter. New plugs, wires,cap, rotor, and coil. Can anyone think of what else this problem could be before i dump more money into it? Could the ignition module be bad? Fuel pump, carb? help please. Jared"

"You might want to try rebuild

"You might want to try rebuilding the carb, if you feel up to it. It sounds like the accelerator pump might be either dumping too much fuel, or not enough. You might also check to see that your choke is operating correctly.(Not sticking open or shut, although this would make it hard to start) If the weights in your mechanical advance were sticking in the distributer, it wouldn't idle right. If you rebuild the carb, pay special attention to the part throttle delivery circuits. Blow out all passages with a compressor after letting all the parts soak overnight in solvent. Replace the accelerator pump rubber washer.
Good luck!"

"Well I agree that you could h

"Well I agree that you could have a problem with the accelerator pump in the carb as far as having to ease it up to speed.

How ever this would not affect the top rpm of the engine.

If you have had this boat for awhile and know it can run better or it has run better there are only a few things that could cause the power loss.

The bottom in not clean,added weight in the form of gear etc,or the engine is getting tired.

If a compression check has not been done this may help tell part of the condition of the engine.

Back to the carburetor, depending on the model of the carb it could be that the secondary throttle plates or the needles they control are not opening at wide open throttle.(Q-jet carb)

If you are sure the bottom is clean and there is not a lot of extra weight in the boat(check for false floor with water trapped under it) then check the compression. If the compression is ok then make sure the timing is advancing as needed.

Check the vacuum of the engine as well. This can point to a leak,early or late valve timing,restricted exhaust.

If all that checks out then I'd say you need to dive into the carb. If it's a Q-jet check for free movment of all the linkage.

The prop hasn't been changed has it? If so this would explain the rpm loss if a higher pitch prop was installed ."

thank you..the bottom is clean

thank you..the bottom is clean. ive actually took all the seats out so there is less weight. Same prop. the carb is the stock 2bbl holley.

Also next question. I do not know how to check the timing. I do not see any markings on the timing chain cover or harmonic balancer. Any suggestions?thank you

"A friend of mine have a Volvo

"A friend of mine have a Volvop penta system on his boat, and he had a similar problem that was plaguing him for the better part of a year. After several hundred boat bucks in tune-ups, carb rebuilds and ignition system replacements, he finally found the problem to be the fuel line. It had been damaged internally either during assembly or perhaps when a fitting was replaced. Anyway, the problem was a flap of rubber from the inner lining had grown large enough that when the fuel flow increased it would be dragged into the flow and restrict the amount of fuel to the engine. Just a thought (and a cheap fix).

Good Luck!"

Back