Logo

KAD44PEDCDP trip out

• Thread starter Gordon Pickering
  • Start date
G

Gordon Pickering

My KAD44P-EDC-DP engine sudden

My KAD44P-EDC-DP engine suddenly stopped working. The fault was traced to the lower of the two trips on top of the engine. When this was reset the engine fired happily and run for a another ten minutes and then the trip popped again. The handbook merely says it is caused by an electrical overload! The Marine Electrician cannot find a fault other than one hand tight connection. He couldn't get the trip to pop either. Any suggestions?

"Three days ago my lower "

"Three days ago my lower "fuses" BOTH would "pop" when I shut down. The one would permit immediate reset to re-start engine, the other required a "clear code" PROCEDURE ON THE edc FIRST, then a tuning off - on of the power switch to the engine/edc box. Interestingly, the edc showed normal lights remaining ON even after key turned to shut-down then off position. No EDC codes flash, however, and fuel guage goes to "hard right" while rpms show 600 (after shutdown). The two "fuses" are in-line breakers; the top one is positive line, the bottom one negative. Switching the two results only in the bottom one (negative) still being the one that pops.

Actuators function fine, and electrical loads are normal.

I believe these are thermal operating, but don't know if in time they get "old and tired" (I have 1700 hours on my engines). That would not seem to explain why, after swapping the one on the plus side (top) with the negative one (bottom) it was still the negative one that pops.
Jack in Alaska"

Back