Logo

Pulls to the right

R

randy woods

my boat pulls to the right whe

my boat pulls to the right when going down the lake can anyone tell me how to fix this

"If it's a tournament ski

"If it's a tournament ski boat, they make them that way on purpose. If there was no steering input, you would wander near a straight line but it would be almost impossible to go totally straight the way skiers want.

If it's not a dedicated ski boat, some steering input is normal if you don't have power steering.

What kind of boat is it? If it's a ski boat and you decide to remove the pull, look at the bronze (or NiBrAl) rudder and take note of the trailing edge. If it's pulling to the right, the right edge will have been filed and if it pulls to the left, the left trailing edge was filed. The principle is the same as a wing on a plane- the top surface of a wing is longer and because the air, or in this case water, in order to meet at the back edge, the water has to go faster and this causes lift. In the case of a vertical surface, it'll pull to one side. You can reduce or eliminate the pull by filing the edge on the side that wasn't originally filed. Go easy on it, a little goes a long way."

"Look for a trim tab to adjust

"Look for a trim tab to adjust. On my I/O's, they are a little fin held to the bottom of the cavitation plate (just above the prop) with a single bolt.

Just a tiny change in the trim tab angle will have a significant impact on the steering pull."

Back