Logo

Change oil in Lower Unit

"Boy, Am I a new guy in the Me

"Boy, Am I a new guy in the Mercruser area?? I've only had experience with OMC for my boating days.
My neighbor asked me how to check and change the oil in his Murcruser Lower Unit...."Dunno" is all I could say! I did see what looked like a drain plug under the Lower Unit...Couldn't find the filler or top plug over or under the cavatation plate?? I know this is going to be simple, but tell me so I can make him think I'm the smart one and figured it out..hanks...JIM"

"That drain plug that you see

"That drain plug that you see on the lower unit is where you drain and fill oil fluid. There is a plug on the upper housing (usually on the same side as the drain plug) that you can check the oil level. If oil come out when you unscrew the top, that indicates it's full. Oil should be replace yearly or when milky white.

Hopes that helps"

"The plug on the side of the u

"The plug on the side of the upper gearcase has 'vent' cast into the metal next to the screw. If it's a relatively new motor/drive, there's a plastic reservoir on the motor and that's where you add gear oil. It has a sensor in the cap and if the level goes too far down or the bottle is empty, a warning buzzer sounds. When the oil is changed, the plugs are pulled and the oil is allowed to drain out. Then, the pump is attached to the lower hole and pumped in until it starts to come out the top hole. The top screw goes back in and then the bottom one, making sure that very little oil comes out. When the gearcase is filled, the reservoir bottle is topped off. Before this is done, the impeller should be checked to see if it's pulling water in the way it should. If it was more than a year old at the beginning of this season, I would change it now, then refill the gear oil."

"Thanks...I knew it was simple

"Thanks...I knew it was simple but we only pay a mechanic for what he knows, not what he does.."RIGHT?" Okay maybe for what he does too. Anyways...Thanks..I'll look like a super hero tomorrow when I march over and show that dude what yall told me...Don't think I'll take credit..Huh? I will. By Now...JIM"

Back