Logo

Winterizing a closed system

despy

Regular Contributor
"I recently purchased a bit of

"I recently purchased a bit of a project boat. 1974 Fibreform 24 ft, 351W( 233 hp), with an alpha one leg. The previous owner purchased the boat new 32 years ago. It has Osco manifolds and according to the previous owner, it is plumbed in so that when lowering the leg, the system will drain completely. He claims that he has never done anything other than that , and making sure his antifreeze in the closed system is up to par,when storing for the winter. I live in Vancouver , B.C. which has a fairly mild climate but we can still get a couple of weeks each year below freezing.Does this procedure seem reasonable or should I be doing other things?"

"Well if the owner had it for

"Well if the owner had it for that many years I would think he knows the boat and why would he lie to you about this.
If it makes you feel better, drain the parts that do not have coolant in them. Most drives will drian out when they are lowered and need nothing else. I'm not sure about it draining the manifolds because I do not know every manifold by heart. It may drain out it may not.

Like I said, what reason would the last owner have to lie about this?
I guess you need to find out if the boat was stored inside or outside during the winter. If it was stored inside then you may want to look into this manifold draining a little deeper."

"It has always been stored out

"It has always been stored outside and you are probably right about him having no reason to mislead me. I just read all the posts here about winterizing and wonder about it, Of course , I realize that a lot of these boats are raw water cooled and understand the difference.
Thanks for the reply, Charli."

Back