Logo

58 L OMC Cobra shifting

When shifting into fwd gear I

When shifting into fwd gear I hear the normal dull "thud" as the drive goes into fwd.However sometimes I hear a second dull "thud" a split second later even though the prop is already turning.Anything ideas on the cause?

Check the ESA to ensure it is

Check the ESA to ensure it is working correctly. Also watch the shift assist lever when you shift to ensure it does not bounce.

"This means that Your gear and

"This means that Your gear and clutch dog does not engage properly and jumps one lug on the dog/gear before it engages properly. Normally a sticking shift cable or wrongly adjusted, but it will lead to dammaged gear/dog if not corrected. Start by checking the cable adjustments, that gearcable from engine through the transom mount does not stick, that the small bell crank at the outside does not stick. If this sounds a bit mysterious and difficult, I suggest You get a manual before You start. If You keep on using the boat before corrected You may end up changing gearset and clutch dog as well."

I am preparing to replace the

I am preparing to replace the transom bracket shift cable.I now notice that the other shift cable(from the remote control box)seems to be worn.With the shifter locked in neutral I can slide the cable back and forth in the casing about 5/16". Is this normal play?

"I'm looking for a OMC 5.8

"I'm looking for a OMC 5.8L alternator bracket. I was told that this piece is absolete, if this is true and what can I do to make means.
Thanks Johns"

"Jayme...you should always sta

"Jayme...you should always start a new thread for a new question. Not sure what year or which bracket but looking at the diagram (1989) at item #46 which is PN 0913455 which was replaced with PN 3852703. You should be able to order through a dealer.

79844.gif
1989 5.8 Alternator

Back