Logo

Upgrade a 38 to a four barrel carb

chasboater

"I have a 1983 Beachcraft 180

"I have a 1983 Beachcraft 180 with a 3.8 V6.

I want to change out the carb and manifold for a four barrel system - I don't know if that is considered much of an upgrade, but I want a better hole-shot for pulling skiers, and my 2bbl carb is ready for a rebuild anyway.

Do you have recommendations? Do it, don't do it, Tried it and it worked/didn't work?

I have found some manifolds in aluminum and cast iron with both the Automotive and Marine thermostat bolt patterns - any advice/warnings here?

And finally, how much carb should I put on this, and where do you go to get marine carbs? There is no shortage of sites selling automotive carbs, do I just order a marine version?"

"Before changing out carbs and

"Before changing out carbs and intakes you may want to check into a different prop. First of all you need to know what you have on there (size wise) and what kind of RPM's are you pulling at WOT. Typically a smaller pitch prop will give you a better hole shot as it allows the engine to get the RPM's up quicker, down side could be that you lose a little off the top end and if you go to small you may exceed the recommended WOT RPM's. That's why it's important to know where you are starting from and take it from there."

"If you have your mind set on

"If you have your mind set on a four barrel, get a Holley with vacuum secondaries.

Jeff

PS: A four barrel will do nothing for improving your hole shot--only top end speed."

"Thanks Jeff - I'll go for

"Thanks Jeff - I'll go for the prop first. It makes sense.

I can't quite make out the numbers on the prop yet- it has been painted over. I'll do a bit of scraping to get the data.

I have an extra prop - same problem - I'll 'dig' into those things first to see if I already own a lower-pitch item.

I'll have to be sure to watch that I don't over-rev the engine on the top end - what is redline for the Chevy V6?

I'm guessing around 5500 max, and 5000 for practical engine wear and tear? It just goes above 5000 now.

I just ordered the owners manual and shop manual - I suppose those numbers will be in there?"

Back