Logo

Oil Change for 1989 454350

gary_g

"Very new to the boating commu

"Very new to the boating community. Just purchased my first boat, 1989 Chris Craft 372 Catalina with twin 454 Crusaders (750 hours). I would like to learn the basic maintenance like changing the oil etc.. Any advice as to which is the best oil. Also, do I need a special oil pump for the crankcase? thxs"

"Be sure to follow the recomme

"Be sure to follow the recommended oil viscosity ( weight ) of the manufacturer of the engine. Automotive oil is fine for gasoline marine engines. Check label. It should have an API rating of API-SM. Because of limited access you will probably have to use a suction type oil removing devise to remove old oil through the dipstick tube. These are commonly found at any marine store and many auto parts stores. As with any engine, changing oil and filter often is the key to long engine life"

"If you want to do it yourself

"If you want to do it yourself--like me--then buy one of those electric motor diven, vacuum pump (with tank) systems sold by West Marine and others. The motor is 12 volts, so you simply clip the leads to a battery and let her go! The oil gets sucked out the dipstick hole, so make damn sure the motors are fully warmed up (so the oil will flow).

Good luck, new boater!

Jeff

PS: Don't forget to winterize her if you live north of Florida."

Back