Logo

Carb question

pcourtney

HEy guys ...when rebuiding my

HEy guys ...when rebuiding my 165 mercruiser 2 bbl rochester carb i seen that the 2 idle mixture screws were in bad state...had been overtightened and had tip distortion..when i rebuilt it i used 2 different screws from another same type carb that looked to be good ..could my carb problem ? (engine surging faster and slower) be from bad seats perhaps ?..any repair for this?..thanks

"Sounds more like a vacuum lea

"Sounds more like a vacuum leak. Unles the seats were wrecked totally, the new adjustment screws should work.

Jeff"

"Look carefully for the tips t

"Look carefully for the tips to be broken off the idle mixture screws. I've seen it... and the tips stay in the seats. As jeff states, suspect vac leaks (carb base gastket maybe). could have been why someome was monkeying with the mixture screws in the first place.

Hays"

Thanks guys ..where would the

Thanks guys ..where would the vacuum leak most likely be coming from ?...i have all new gaskets. Can i check for vacuum leak like i would on a car with a propane torch ? ..thanks...any chance this could be electrical ?...thanks

I forgot to mention---the scre

I forgot to mention---the screws go far enough in that the tips of them come out slightly into the throttle body !....this normal ? ...

"Yes, but that's too far i

"Yes, but that's too far in for proper mixtures. I'll bet the carb is flooding, and that the motor will contine to idle with the screws all the way in?

Jeff"

use a can of carb cleaner to c

use a can of carb cleaner to check for vac leaks at intake and carb gaskets. Spray and watch for idle speed fluctuation.

thanks for the feedback guys..

thanks for the feedback guys....Jeff- the motor will not run with the adjustment screws all the way in ...i started with them at the typical 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out..i get a stalling when i screw them in farther but not much happens when i start backing them out. I just noticed that they do screw in far enough so that about 1/32 of an inch of the screwtips protrude into the throttlebody and wondered of this was normal. when i rebuilt the carb there was no ball in the bottom of the pumpwell but it does look like theres a recession where one is "supposed" to be ...would the dying on acceleration occur if theres supposed to be a ball there and there isnt?.....thanks to all

"Good...and bad. The carb is

"Good...and bad. The carb is not flooding--hooray!--but that ball is needed for the accelerator pump to work. It's a check valve that keeps the gas from being pushed out when the pump strokes downward. If you can't find the ball, try a good hardware store (and buy a variety of sizes). THe ball must fit loosely or it might jam on you.

I've seen the tips of the needles protruding into the carb. Don't sweat that. I'm concerned that the carb doesn't get major league over-rich as you screw the adjustments further out--perhaps the needles are too fat (wrong ones)? It won't matter if she idles okay, though.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the reply Jeff...i

"Thanks for the reply Jeff...in the rebuild kit there were 2 sizes of check balls...one was smaller and looked almost like brushed aluminum and the other was bigger and shiney looking...i put the smaller one (on advice of merc dealer)in the carb under the spring and T clip holder..as mentioned earlier though i put nothing in the pump well since there wasant one there to start with ...But, if there is supposed to be one in the pump well recession which ball would go where ?....thanks again"

Back