Logo

12volt or 6volt

lahaye

"I have just aquired an 18foot

"I have just aquired an 18foot 1952 Shepherd with the M47S Crown, twin carbs and copper exhaust, with a V-drive. The boat came without a battery and I knew it was not running when I bought it. How can I tell if it is a 12 or 6volt system?? It does have a generator and the battery cables are marked for a positive ground system. I am sure I will have other questions about this engine and drive as I begin the restoration.
Thanks
Guy"

"If you can read the numbers o

"If you can read the numbers off the starter or generator or voltage regulator then we can tell as follows.

6 volt systems: starters were p/n MCH-6209M AND MCH-6208M, generaters were p/n GHR-4801M AND GHR-4802M, voltage regulators were VRW-6004BM.

12 volt systems: starters were MCT-6203M AND MCT-6202M, generator p/ns were GHX-4801NM and GHX-4802NM, voltage regulators were p/n IAY-4114-IM.

Great engine."

Thanks for your information.

Thanks for your information. I will get under the cover this weekend and see if I can get the numbers off the components.

Guy

"I checked out some numbers on

"I checked out some numbers on my boat today, and the only numbers I could see were on the starter. That number is MAW4045-M 12H000249 with the serial number 1123052. I then checked the Voltage regulator, but no numbers on it, however on the top of the casing was a little faded out sticker that says FOR 12VOLT SYSTEMS. I guess I should have looked there in the first place, but I thank you for the numbers as they will help any of us that are looking to see what is allready there or what we might need to change over to 12Volts. Thanks again, Guy"

Back