Logo

Carb problems for all to see

boatrep1

Regular Contributor
"After reading several threads

"After reading several threads about carb problems I thought I would give a little insight from what I have found. The Q-jet carb and to a lesser extent webers all have passages drilled in them to facilitate fuel flow. These passages are then filled with a plug at the factory. After some use theses plugs will leak. On a Q-jet it leaks into the manifold so is not evident. When the carb gets to a point that it will not start without several seconds of cranking it is (NORMALLY) these plugs leaking all the fuel out overnight. They can be repaired, however it requires rebuilding the carb or at least removing the throttle plate to access these plugs. Put a small amount of JB weld or marine tex on them and allow to cure overnight. re-assemble the carb and it should solve this problem. Quite a few carb shops I've seen and aftermarket rebuilt carbs (Sierra) address the problem haphazardly if at all. you can see the 2 plugs for the primary wells with carb assembled. If they do not have this fix you may want to adress it."

"Have you seem a lot of boat m

"Have you seem a lot of boat motors with a high amount of gas in the oil because of this? I would think that, with the loss of lubricity in the oil, engine failure would be a certainty if this isn't addressed."

"Boatrep1; I seem to remember

"Boatrep1; I seem to remember this leaky seal plug problem from the old days when the Q Jet first came out.
Do you not think that if this were the case there would be a significant gasoline vapor smell evident whenever you open the engine compartment each time to check oil, etc.??
I tend to think that it is more likely a problem of the fuel leaking back into the tank through the check valves in the system. I am going to check mine though and see if I can spot any evidence of the seal plugs leaking as you suggest.
Rod"

Back