Logo

Thanks Guys need more help though

pcourtney

"Hi guys . your previous sugg

"Hi guys . your previous suggestions helped out with the running of my 77 mercruiser 165...i soaked carb in seafoam, then boiled it . now it both idles smoothly and i can also give throttle with good response..EXCEPT that now when the linkage is hooked back to the carb and i try to put in gear (both forward and reverse )it dies...the control is a single lever with a push/pull gear engage button..do you guys think that this is a cable adjustment issue or bad shift cutout switch..seloc manual is like reading chinese on these issues ...thanks"

"Put the boat in the water on

"Put the boat in the water on the trailer with the O/D down so it pumps water on its own. Start the engine and while in neutral turn the idle speed screw to increase the idle RPM to 650-700 RPM with the throttle cable attached. Let the engine get to operating temp for a few minutes at idle and adjust the idle to 750 RPM. Now QUICKLY put it in forward gear. The RPM should be adjusted again to 650-700 RPM under a load. If it stalls, start it in neutral and adjust the mixture screw per the manual and do it all again until it idles under a load. QUICK SHIFTS ARE REQUIRED to keep it from stalling since the engine cutoff switch activates when shifting. Too slow of a shift lets it die."

Back