Logo

Choke adjustment for weber 4bbl carb mercuriser

R

rchris

Does anyone have the settings

Does anyone have the settings for the automatic choke adjustment for the (non electric) choke fitted to the weber 4bbl on a 4.3LX. I wanted to know if there is a certain spring pressure required to pull choke closed when engine is cold?
Roger

"On a cold engine, loosen the

"On a cold engine, loosen the screws on the choke and and turn it CCW while holding a 3/16" drill bit in the way of the throttle plate. Keep turning the choke CCW until you feel a slight resistance while turning it and the Tplate is pressed against the drill bit. That should be sufficient to make it work."

"Thanks Guy, this engine does

"Thanks Guy, this engine does not have the electric choke body, instead it has a heat sensitive coil spring down below one side of the carb with a connecting rod up to the choke butterfly. It looks like the rod can be shortened or lengthened by bending it as it has a dog leg kink in it. I believe the 3/16 adjustment is for the diagram pull off pot which uses the engine suction to open the choke butterfly 3/16" after engine starts. I am sure that the choke should be fully closed when engine is cold, but I am not sure what the tension spring pressure pulling it to the cold position should be.
Cheers Roger."

RChris: It sounds like you ha

RChris: It sounds like you have the 1960s style choke that the coil spring sits in a dish on top of the mainifold. It gets its heat from the exhaust manifold crossover inside the intake manifold. All choke bi-metal springs wear over time and need to be mechanically adjusted. It is only a matter of bending it a little bit at a time to close the butterfly with only a little tension to close it when the engine is cold. Bend it!

What year is the carb? Is the manif. passage open? They were prone to plugging with carbon and oil blowby gasses. I bet you can retrofit the carb with a new butterfly rod and drilling and tapping the mount holes on the side of the carb.

rchris: I found in my 1964-91

rchris: I found in my 1964-91 SELOC repair manual some carb choke adj. instructions for you but need to email directly due to the size of the files--they won't upload to this site. Guy

"Hello Guy, Thank you very muc

"Hello Guy, Thank you very much for that information, The boat is a 1995 2355 Bayliner and the engine number is QF 765153 mercruiser. So I would suspect the engine is a similar vintage to the boat. The bi meatal spring does open the butterfly ok when the engine warms up. I cannot see a lot down there to work out where the heat comes from but thought it may have been the water jacket area. I will have a closer look. I would really appreciate those files you have if its not too much trouble for you to send them to [email protected] I really appreciate you help.
Kind Regards Roger."

"carb docs. are on the way. Y

"carb docs. are on the way. You said it's a 95 Bayliner--it is not an electric choke? Leave it to Merc. and Bayliner if it is not an elec. choke. Chris--if you can remove the entire choke and base, look for a buildup of crud under it if it's engine heat actuated."

Back