Logo

How to winterize a 30l mercruiser help if possible

rookieboater

"As you can see by my user nam

"As you can see by my user name I am very new to the boating scene. I stumbled upon this site and was amazed by the amount of help and positive chit chat and thought I would come for some help if you would all be so kind.

My boat is a 1992 18' Bayliner capri
and has a 3.0 Mercruiser part# 90-821047920
I have seen some of the other threads in here
but wasnt sure if winterizing a merc. motor is universal from one size to the next.
I dont have a manual and getting one will be 4-6 weeks and if I could save the $40 for one and use it to put fuel in my boat I would rather do that. But If need be I will get one.
Also "Drain plugs" do all Merc motors have the same amount of drain/frost plugs and all in the same place?
Thanx for takeing the time to read this and any help will be much appreciated. The last thing I need is a ruined boat motoe in the spring time because I didn't winterize it properly... Talk to you soon,"

"Mark,
Do yourself a favor an

"Mark,
Do yourself a favor and buy a manual. I can't see it taking six weeks to receive a manual. Six days ok but six weeks?
Here is the problem with draining the engine yourself without the manual.
If you miss a drain or do not know how to make sure all the water is out that $40.00 is going to look real cheap come spring when you start buying parts that were frozen an broke.
There are many different places that must be drained and have antifreeze added to protect the engine. Just opening the drain doesn't always let all the water out. Some drains must be removed & their hole opened up with a wire to make sure all the water is out. The engines are not all the same so if you do not know what to look for it is very easy to miss a drain or to have water left in the block even if someone tells you how to do it.
Until you learn how to do this you better have it done.
Of course I have no idea of where you are located but the forecast is calling for snow where I am tonight. Keep in mind that a boat on a trailer will freeze much faster than one in the water will. So if you are not sure of what the outside temp will get down to either stick it inside in the water or have it drained.
Best of luck."

Hello Mark:

I have a electr

Hello Mark:

I have a electronic manual (PDF Format) for a 3.0L Mercursier 1998 that I could e-mail you that should help you out. Please provide me with your e-mail address. Putting one of these little 3.0L's to bed for teh winter is a cake walk.

Back