Logo

270 Leg removal bellows uj replacement

ramco1

"Have got my 270 leg holding o

"Have got my 270 leg holding on by drive shaft,Everything else off.Does the six bolts with lock washers have to be removed before leg will come free or should the shaft slide out on spline.Have a workshop manual ordered but keen to get job done on days off eg tommorrow."

Have done all the right things

Have done all the right things to remove 270 leg but the splines seemed to be seized & im unable to remove shaft.What do you do when it gets this bad.It appears the bellows has leaked for some time & corrosion may be the cause of seized spline.Universals still look good though.Is there any sugestions or has anyone had this prob before.PS (Help)

Under further inspection found

Under further inspection found that at least one universal crook So will replace both when & if i get the shaft out.Have now got seloc manual & done everything right so far but shaft dont want to move.Bugger.

"If possible and to make life

"If possible and to make life easier, take out the bearing housing for the joint in the drive.. (4 allen screws and knock it carefully out, but drain the oil out of the drive first. This will leave You with the shaft from the engine, the u-joint and the bearing housing with a gear hanging. Unscrew the screw in center of the gear and pull the housing and gear off the shaft. Now is only the u-joint hanging on the shaft. Get a slide hammer and propane heater. Heat up the joint at the engine end and try to 'knock' it off the shaft!Note that there are ball bearings in the fly wheel housing that may be dammaged if You use too much force!!!!!"

"End result.
Finished up heat

"End result.
Finished up heating drive shaft yoke leaving overnight to cool,Removed starter & slid block of wood in behind flyweel to stop anything moving back then yanked with sternleg hanging on trolley hooked engine lifter,Yep she popped out (Lucky eh)Replaced 2x universals drive bellow & exaust bellow & refited to boat,Thanks for help cheers All going well now ."

"Forgot to mention theres a li

"Forgot to mention theres a little frost plug in back of drive shaft yoke that had gone rusty due to bellows leak,We dug that out & replace it allso.Its a good place to spray penitrating oil or crc on a stuck shaft connection if any one ever has the same problem ."

Back