Logo

VDO Tach feedback

bullet_bob

"Has anyone experienced electr

"Has anyone experienced electrical feedback problems with VDO tachs used on an EFI engines causing engine RPM's to vary.

I have 1996 twin Crusader 454 TBI engines with VDO Tachs and VDO engine sync gauge. My Stbd engine experiences problems only above 3050 RMP's exactly. I could run all day at 3050 or lower, but as soon as I go over 3050 my stbd engine will intermitently loose 300 rpm's exactly; no matter what RPM I am at above 3050. My mechanic seems to think that the problem is in the gauges. If I disconnect the sync and both tachs the boat runs fine. I have tried disconnecting ALL combinations of sync and tschs with no cure. The only positive response is when I disconnect all three gauges.

I don't want to spend the money to buy three new instruments if there is a work around to this problem"

"Yes, I have seen this problem

"Yes, I have seen this problem although there was no sync involved. Changing gages will most likely cure the problem, although give Crusader a call, they might have a fix that would allow you to keep your current gages, possibly a filter. By the way, I have only ever seen this problem with VDO."

I have tried to call Crusader

I have tried to call Crusader before and could not get tech support. They refer me to one of their authorized dealers. The problem is none of the mechanics know to deal with this kind of problem.

If you have an "inside" phone number to Crusader tech support I would greatly appreciate having it.

Back