Logo

Spark Plugs

mybago

I have a VP 740A (Big Bloc

I have a VP 740A (Big Block Chevy)1990 RWC and have been been using AC MR43T's - for the past 5 years. I was wondering if this is what others use or if there is another plug that they have had better results with?? Thanks.

"That's a million dollar q

"That's a million dollar question.
I come from an automitive background, and have never found one to be any better(or worse) than the next, BUT, I have always had a rule for my own vehicles(and it's purely a mental thing on my part),,,,, AC for GM, Autolite for Fords, Bosch for european, and NGK for rice burners. The only exception is, I use NGK in ALL my 2 strokes.
I have had very few plugs go bad on their own,, there's always a cause.

When you say, "better results" what exactly do you mean, better than what?"

There is no such thing as a &#

There is no such thing as a "super plug". Marine plugs are a little different than automotive in that the metal base is made of a more corrosion resistant metal but they cost considerably more and usually you can get by with automotive ones. The major brands are very competitive. Quality wise I would say NGK is the best of all the production plugs. Mostly I would agree Dale that the preferance by some guys is a mental thing. Be sure to use anti-sieze on the threads when installing new plugs.

"I have come to the point wher

"I have come to the point where I use NGK for all small engines and definitely on 2 stroke. I have had nothing but problems with Champion. AC MR series plugs have been just about faultless, same with Autolite on Fords. I worked for two different boat dealers and somehow, all of the techs had the same preferences. Coincidence? You decide.

Anti-seize on any plugs but especially on non-marine plugs."

"You may in theory use any bra

"You may in theory use any brand make that suits You and that You finds gives what You wants. But there are traps to look out for. Old breaker systems handles almost anything providing the heat range is where it should be. Going mostly trolling, You may choose a 'hotter' plug than normal, running hard a 'colder' might be to preferr. The Champions (and AC) has a closer heat range, the NGK a wider. Crossovers from Champion to NGK normally leads to a colder plug, and may give You as result a plug that lasts longer, but You may experience a more 'rough' idling and plug fouling if You go extended trolling. The place where to watch out is in electronic ignition systems. Do NOT mix around with 'surpressor' ,(Q) type plugs and 'resistor'(R). Is the system from factory specified with a 'Q' plug, You may go for a standard but not an 'R' marked plug, on the other hand You may go from 'R' to 'Q'.
For those who claims that there is 'nothing but problems' with certain brands it may mostly be traced back to wrong applications and lack of knowledge about plugs and specifications of ignition systems. As a general rule I would say go for the brand and type (Q/R) specified by the manufacturer and play with the heat range to find one what fits Your driving style."

"I have used Champions in cars

"I have used Champions in cars, trucks, boats, lawnmowers and have had problems with all of them, using the OEM part number on older cars and cross reference books on the newer motors.

Sorry, but when a motor comes with a particular plug, I replaced it with the same one and still had problems, lack of knowledge, wrong applications and specs of ignition systems don't really enter into it, do they? I wasn't referring to being "a little bit off" when they had problems, either. They all ran like crap. When I changed to other brands, they ran fine.

Yes, they were gapped correctly, the wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, etc were checked and repaired or replaced as needed before blaming the plugs (or installing them, for that matter). "

Jim:
Makes me happy that You

Jim:
Makes me happy that You have found a 'master' solution for Your 'crappy' running engines. I do not quite think it goes for everyone.

"Sorry, Jim, it ain't the

"Sorry, Jim, it ain't the brand. As long as you have the right application, heat range, gap ect., there is no problem with any of the major brands."

"OK, I must be completely FOS

"OK, I must be completely FOS then. New Champs, gapped to spec and chosen by using the application chart didn't work on more than one occasion. Then, when I went to another brand, it was fine.

Why don't you call some boat service shops and ask how many use Champions. We even discussed this when I went to Mastercraft service training and reached the same consensus."

I know people who swear by Cha

I know people who swear by Champions. I don't agree with them either.

Back