Logo

Trim issue with Volvo Penta on b88 Imperial

B

Barry T

"I recently obtained an '8

"I recently obtained an '88 Imperial. I am having issues with the trim. The trim will go down to -2 or -3 even while I continually adjust it. I am unsure what might be the issue, could it be hydraulic? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated."

"What outdrive do you have?&#4

"What outdrive do you have?(250, 270, 280, ect.)
Some, like my 250 DO NOT have trim, and from what I've read on this board you can do damage to the unit by trying. DO NOT try to trim it until you know what it is."

"I'm unsure of the drive I

"I'm unsure of the drive I have, I just bought the boat and it came with no paperwork. The outdrive is trimable, I have a switch on the console to adjust it. I have tried to maintain the trim at "0" or "1" without success. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated."

My 270 outdrive seems to be se

My 270 outdrive seems to be set up for "tilt" only for trailering purposes. A good test is to tilt it up and put a little weight with your hand/body and see if it goes down with some pressure. It may not be designed for actual trim adjustments and Trim Tabs may be required.

"I also have a 88 imperial. Ch

"I also have a 88 imperial. Chances are that you have a 290 drive. Our setups are notorious for doing exactly what you are describing. The drive falling while you are under power is bad hydraulics. I worked at a marina this summer and the advice I give people is to deal with it as long as you can, as it is a costly undertaking to repair. ($800 dollars is the estimate we usually give) Not only is it costly, but it is fairly difficult to find someone to do. The other thing that I would check is to see if your drive is truly falling, or do you have a bad relay to the gauge. Hope this helps."

Back