Logo

Mercruiser 2000 43 shift cable

moondrifter

Regular Contributor
"Had a problem getting into fo

"Had a problem getting into forward. Engine would start to speed up before engagement. Adjusted lower unit shift cable and it was OK. A little while later with one days use it starts doing it again. Adjusted cable and it's working right.
I troll so it is shifted twice a day , once going out and again comming in. I can't believe the cable is shot after this little use. Is there a lube point on the lower unit for the cable linkage. I have oiled the cable but to Me the cable seemes to have some resistance.
I have heard of cable streaching but to get into forward the cable is pushing ,not pulling.
If You think the cable should be changed, would I be able to get just the inner and leave the outter? Thanks Carl."

adjust the throttle cable.&#40

adjust the throttle cable.(at the engine)it should apply slight pressure against idle stop in nuetral. too much pressure will cause binding going into nuetral. no easy way to lube a shift cable that I know of. symptom of a bad cable would be stalling coming out of gear. always best to replace inner and outer cable together.

Actually the tension or fricti

Actually the tension or friction in a shift cable is important. It is the friction that causes the interupter switch to properly function. No lube desired.

Back