Logo

Advice for newbies

"I bought this old 87 bayliner

"I bought this old 87 bayliner with a 5.7 cobra, I put lots of new parts on the engine (not a rebuild but replaced major components, alternator, timing chain cover, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, carb rebuild.) I'm not really a boat guy but I'm learning. I got my engine running beautiful, but I didn't do anything with the outdrive figuring it was ok. When I went to the boat ramp and did my shake down I got 50 feet out backwards and couldn't shift into forward, after monkeying around with the shifter cable under the hatch, I couldn't even shift either way. The tide was going out and i drifted a pretty long way and got the attention of some guys fishing. they were nice enough to pull me back and even refused the 40 bucks I offered them for saving me. (I'll definately pay that forward when I tow someone in) when i got home i pulled the outdrive off of the steering assembly and found the shifter was all gunked up with old contaminated grease and a piece of what looked like melted plastic about 5 inches long was wedged in there. The cable was ok. my guess is the previous owner tried to jb weld the inside of the old manifolds where they were rusted out. and he pumped too much grease everywhere he could find a fitting. This was apparent when i repacked the trailer bearings (which had bearing buddies) and the seals were all pushed out grr.. the bellows and the u-joint all looked good and I ordered a new gasket kit. My advice is don't assume, just check everything and bring a friend with another boat on your shakedown trip.

thom"

"Yep...good advice, especially

"Yep...good advice, especially when buying something that old. Hopefully you got it at the right price? Since you seem to be a hands on guy my advice would be to get yourself a good manual if you don't already have one. Besides the after market Seloc and Clymer out there the best bet is an original OMC factory manual, eBay is a good place to look as they always pop up there (new and used) this way you can get one for your year (find the model number on a plate on the rocker cover or thermostat housing)....good luck!"

Back