Logo

New coil install issue

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
"I bought a new Pertronix Flam

"I bought a new Pertronix Flame Thrower coil for my AQ130C. It is about 1/4" smaller in diameter than the old OEM coil and the mounting bracket (#18 in pic below) does not tighten down on it. So, I need to somehow "fatten up" the new coil around it's mid section so the bracket holds it firmly in place. I thought about using a few windings of steel plumber's strapping tape around the coil where the bracket makes contact with it, but I'm concerned about heat buildup. Anyone have any ideas for what I could use to make the new coil "fatter" and does not retain any heat it absorbs from the coil?
25675.gif
Bracket

"What about using a smaller cl

"What about using a smaller clamp? Surely, you should be able to adapt a hose clamp of the right size or something of the sort.
biggrin.gif
"

"I wish it was that easy, El.

"I wish it was that easy, El.
happy.gif
It's not a typical clamp like a hose clamp, rather it is a steel plate that slides forward as you tighten bolt #19 above. Not shown in the photo above is a half circle of steel about 1/2" tall that the other side of the coil presses against.

Now that I look closer at the pic above, I see a ring #9 that wraps around the coil...that is what I am trying to replicate."

"Hey Bob, it sounds like the n

"Hey Bob, it sounds like the new coil is the same diameter as a standard automotive coil. I found the same thing when I went to my local parts house and bought a plain old 12v coil and a new resister. An aftermarket bolt on from the nearest cut-rate chain parts house will work(and look good too, if you go chrome)."

"And now that I look even clos

"And now that I look even closer at the pic above, I do see that there is a clamp of some kind...#21. Not sure how I'd replace it with a smaller one though. Easier to just make the new coil fatter.
biggrin.gif
"

"What's wrong with a pair

"What's wrong with a pair of vice-grip pliers, a piece of tube of approximately the same diameter as the new coil, a ball peen hammer, a drill and a hacksaw? I'm pretty sure that, when it comes to make the existing clamp a bit smaller, you have all the necessary technology in your workshop.
lol.gif
"

"Workshop, what workshop? <[i

"Workshop, what workshop?
happy.gif
I have an overfilled garage and a very cluttered toolbox at my disposal is all. Thanks El and Dale, I'm sure I can come up with something."

"Dale,I came up against the sa

"Dale,I came up against the same problem recently
& just cut up & old peice rubber hose,sat the coil in the whole & put packers around it to take up the slack.Tightened up the clamp & have had no further issues.The heat from the coil does not seem to effct it either & if it did i would use alliminium packers instead."

"Packer=shim, but I still thin

"Packer=shim, but I still think kragens would have a chrome coil bracket that would be the correct fit."

"Thanks Dale. Due to space co

"Thanks Dale. Due to space constraints and difficulty working in the area where the coil bracket is on my engine not to mention not being able to see it, I'm afraid removing and replacing the old bracket might be a bigger job than what I want to get into. I'm just going to use some good rubber hose (eg. marine grade fuel line) as shim material between the smaller coil and the bracket."

Back