Logo

SOLEX kits

goose

"I need to rebuild these carbs

"I need to rebuild these carbs. Hey El Fiscador, where would you suggest I look for kits? I stopped by NAPA on the way home and they want 54 bucks per.
I did the prop swap,, got the RPMs down to 4600,,,,, PERFECT with the 15x17, but hwen I stopped to check stuff out under the lid,,,, I wasn't sure whether to grab the fire extinguisher or the life jacket. Fuel pukin' out every orofice on BOTH Solex's. I got lucky,,, it evaped before it lit. Good thing I have the kicker motor, I tossed a cuple lines behind me and trolled the 3 miles or so back to the ramp. Caught and releasd 3 little bass."

"Dale,

We sell Volvo Penta

"Dale,

We sell Volvo Penta carb kits here.

Glad you were able to troll on the long ride home !
sun.gif
"

"Thanks Andrew,
Another ques

"Thanks Andrew,
Another question. I'm trying to get this craft ready for salmon season in the delta, and CHEAP. The boat runs great, just leaks that flamable stuff. Would just re-gasketing it be OK? The floats float, the jets jet and other than being hard to start, she runs super.
I do need to stick a timing light on her though, at WOT she pings some.
I'm almost(I think)ready, but 108 bucks will set me back, half that I can deal with.
Thanks, Dale(aka Goose)"

"Dale,

I am a thrifty perso

"Dale,

I am a thrifty person by nature and as a rule I try not to spend money in fixing what ain't broke. Having said that, I also value my life far more than the price of a pair (or of many pairs, for the sake of argument) of carb rebuilding kits.

What you have described (fuel puking out of every orifice) is, in my opinion, a worrysome situation that you need to correct as soon as possible. To what extent you repair the carbs is, naturally, up to you. The first thing you may want to do is to trace where the fuel leaks are originating from. Possible sources could be loose banjo plungers (part 15 in the link)) attaching the fuel delivery pipe to the carbs; leaky gaskets (part 16); leaky accelerator diaphraghms.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=comp&grou p=1963&GroupList=1943,1944,1945,1946,1947,1948,1949,1950,1951,1952,1953,1954,195 5,1956,1957,1958,1959,1960,1961,1966,1962,1963,1964,1965,1967,1968,1969,1970,197 1,1972,1973,1974,1975

When it comes to overhauling the carbs, keep in mind that the rebuilding kits you get for $50.79 (each)

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7000&returntopage= 80240775.htm

do not include any floats, but they include an accelerator pump diaphragm, float needle and seat, idle mixture screw, and all the gaskets you need. Conversely, the $25.59 gasket kit

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7099&returntopage= 80240775.htm

includes only the few gaskets you need to replace whenever you open your carb.

If I was in your shoes (and I am not), I would be happy to do a full rebuild to both carbs for just over a $100 and feel safe afterwards. The question you may want to ask yourself now is: what is your price tag for peace of mind and a reasonable level of safety?"

"uh,,,, 51.18?
No, youre righ

"uh,,,, 51.18?
No, youre right, if I can't find them locally tomorrow(which aint likely up here) I'll order them from you guys.
As for fixing it as soon a possible, trust me, she won't even have a battery hooked up 'till I'm sure I won't BBQ. LOL
Thanks again guys. This site is great and if I ever can I'll return the advice."

I found a couple dealers on Eb

I found a couple dealers on Ebay that have the Solex 44 rebuild kits for $23 each but have not ordered yet. Need to fix my valve and head problem first. The guy is in Arizona. Do a search for solex carbs.

"Damit Jim(lol, I always w

"Damit Jim(lol, I always wanted to say that), your'e about 2 minutes late. They are on their way from Sierra(thank you Andrew)."

"Well, the kits arrived on Mon

"Well, the kits arrived on Monday, I rebuilt the carbs on Tuesday. I ran down to the lake today for a test run. No leaks, good response.
I got a good speed/rpm test today with my GPS.
32@4600
31@4500
27@4100
25@4000
I don't have a fuel flow meter, but she sounded real good at 4100, so I'm gonna guess that's my optimum.
She aint no speed boat, but I'm OK with 27-28 cruise.
I did find out one thing though,,, with the carbs in good shape, DO NOT pump the throttle to start. I shut the main down for an hour or so and trolled with the kicker, when I headed back to the ramp I pumped it like I used to and,,,,,no go. Had to let her sit for about 10 minutes and tried it again, this time with the handle back,, fired right up.
I still need to put a timing light on it, she pings a bit at WOT.
Thanks Andrew and Sierra Parts for getting the kits here quik, and El Pescador for all the advice."

"You are welcome, Dale; and I

"You are welcome, Dale; and I am glad to see that you fixed the problem.

Next time the engine does not start because you pumped gas, consider putting the throttle lever in about 3/4 and crank (in neutral!!!) until the engine starts (may take 3-4 seconds), then back it immediately when the engine starts (otherwise the engine will race)."

"Dale, I had timing problems w

"Dale, I had timing problems with my aq130s too, what I found worked best was to get the dwell right first and time the motor by ear at cruising speed. Get someone to drive and you can advance or retard the timing as the motor is working. To much advance and you hear knocking or preignition; too late and power will fall off. These motors were designed when we had much better fuel available. To set the timing at factory specs never worked for me; I set mine just south of ping at 4000 (underway) and they (dual engines) seem to love it. - Sid"

Back