Logo

How do you take the rotor off a thunderbolt 4 ignition 1990

D

Dave Mace

I tried pulling straight up an

I tried pulling straight up and couldnt find a answer in the manual

"Dave, the rotor is loc-tited

"Dave, the rotor is loc-tited on the shaft. put a small chisel, or old screwdriver on top of rotor. give it a whack to crack it. then she'll come off. really!"

"Dave, Scott is right. The sh

"Dave, Scott is right. The shaft is probably also rusted. Remove the rust with a 3M scuff pad.

I replaced mine recently and broke it when removing it with channel locks. After I removed the rust, the new one fit very, very tight so I skipped the lock-tite even though it is part of the installation. I put a micro thin layer of NEVER SEIZE on the shaft and wiped it off so it would have a little rust prevention and for future removal--it still took some effort to push the new one on the shaft."

"thanks guys!I used a chisel a

"thanks guys!I used a chisel and it came off in pieces, sanded the shaft and replaced the rotor."

I've always used two screw

I've always used two screwdrivers to evenly pry upwards and the rotor usually pops right off.

I also find the two screwdrive

I also find the two screwdrivers and some pressure to work well. Upward prying MUST be equal on both sides. A single chisel is always uneven and guarantees brakage.

Back