Logo

Johnson chokerelated questions

C

Chemrat

"I have a 1970 9.5 with a type

"I have a 1970 9.5 with a type "C" (i believe) carb on it. Anyway, back on the choke assembly there is a small rod that opens the butterfly, and it keeps popping off. It goes through a kind of nylon bushing, actully two of them-one off the choke rod and one that connects to open the butterflywhen you pull the choke knob on the front of the engine. Anyway, are there some type of "C" clips that hold that thing on, or are the nylon bushings worn out. Second, would THAT cause me to have to close the choke to make the engine keep running IN gear, or do I have an air leak somewhere? The engine was running fine with the choke fully opened the time before last, but the last time out, I had to close the choke to keep it running AFTER I had to put the small wire looking thing back into the choke/butterfly assembly out on the water. It ran fine at WOT throttle up the lake, but ran poorly when I fired it back up Help, I am lost."

"Running only with the choke o

"Running only with the choke on is the engine's way of telling you it is not getting any gas the normal way, through the carb jets. Time to dump the trash from the bowl, thoroughly clean all jets and passage ways, and to install new gasket, and seat kit."

Back