Logo

Raw water to fresh water cooling

ratmower

Advanced Contributor
Hi Guys
I have a pair of Chev

Hi Guys
I have a pair of Chevie 292 6cylinder engines in my Bertram that are raw water cooled and I am considering converting them to fresh water cooling.
I have been told that problems can occur when a coversion is done to an engine that has been run on salt for a long time so I am a bit unsure as to wether or not to proceed.
Any advice would be welcome.
Regards
Peter C

"Don't waste your time and

"Don't waste your time and money, for it's too late. The corrosion is so widespread inside the block and heads that flakes coming off would plug the heat exchangers and burn up the motor. Save your money for repowers.

Jeff"

"Thanks Jeff
These particular

"Thanks Jeff
These particular engines are realitivly inexpensive when compared with others anyway.
I was going to convert one to start with to see how it would have gone, as I was given a genuine mercooler heat exchanger so the expense was not going to be great, only some hoses and mounting brackets.
I thought seen I flush the engines with fresh water quite a few times a year that if I ran a very high percentage of glycol in the cooling water, it may help to retard the rust scaleing inside the blocks and heads.
Anyway if you think its a waste of time maybee I should just wait until an engine fails and then convert the replacement.
Regards
Peter C"

Best way to go. Many have tri

Best way to go. Many have tried to clean out the scale without success.

Jeff

Back