Logo

Leaking oil from valve cover tube

dawgs

Regular Contributor
"1986 mercruiser 170...i just

"1986 mercruiser 170...i just changed the head , exhaust manifold , and intake manifold gaskets...the motor is running good but there is one problem...oil is spitting from the tube that runs from the valve cover to the arrestor...i am assuming oil isnt supposed to be coming from there...anyone have any ideas?"

Completely drain the oil and r

Completely drain the oil and refill. If the oils overfull the crank will splash it around and cause the problem you speak of. Did you lose the splash shield in the valve cover? If these are OK the go back to bad rings.

head was just sent out..everyt

head was just sent out..everything on the head is new

splash shield? not sure what that is

If you flip the valve cover ov

If you flip the valve cover over there should be a metal cover over the hole for the breather tube. This keeps oil from comming out the tube.

"Did you clean the oil return

"Did you clean the oil return passages on the block? If plugged, only place to go is up."

no oil baffle on the underside

no oil baffle on the underside of the valve cover....not even a place where something like that will fit.....as foroil return passages...where are they and how do i clean them?

"SG: pull the valve cover off

"SG: pull the valve cover off and look for several drain hole journals on the edges of the head. I've used a coat hanger just to open the drain. Check at a local auto parts with a machine shop. They may have a long thin bristle wire, like a pipe cleaner, to clean the oil returns. Sometimes a small piece of gasket material gets lodged in the returns. Guy"

ill try it as soon as the weat

ill try it as soon as the weather breaks.....what is more likely? clogged drain holes or bad rings?

"SG: many of the experts are

"SG: many of the experts are saying bad rings based upon their experiences with engines having similar problems. Was the engine consuming oil between oil changes before the head work? If it wasn't, then it may just be clogged or narrowed from sludge returns. Can you start it and let it run 15-30 mins. at operating temp? Then shut it down and immediately remove the valve cover.
If you find the top of the head flooded with oil; it is plugged returns. Clean them and see if the problem ceases.

Did you check the compression dry? Each cylinder should be above 100 PSI but more important is they should be similar readings with a variance of no more the 20-30 PSI. Record each cylinder's dry reading. If the readings are within a range of 100 - 150 PSI, then perform a wet compression test; squirt a teaspoon of engine oil in the spark plug hole. If any of the readings increases, you need rings.

If that is the case, don't fool with it unless you are proficient in rebuilding the block. Buy a short block or send yours out to a quality shop for remanufacturing and not rebuilding if you plan to keep the boat. The processes are different and the cost is significant.

Guy"

i really never lost any oil...

i really never lost any oil...the level stayed the same for the most part...how far down should i snake the drains? will i know if they are clogged right away? how many drains are there?

guy let me explain a little...

guy let me explain a little....we blew the head gasket...the boat got hot but never overheated...i changed all the gaskets...the boat runs fine but the oil is spitting like i said...it seems like there is too much pressure under the valve cover...if i cover the hole in the valve cover when its running....oil will spit out of the dip stick hole....too much pressure? what would cause that pressure? what do you think?

"Sal: I looked up the engine

"Sal: I looked up the engine diagram and the valve cover does not show a PCV valve in it which is supposed to vent blow-by gases back through the carb. If the PCV valve would plug shut w/sludge, then the gases would build up enough pressure to blow the oil out of the dip stick or valve cover gasket or in your case the valve cover vent hose.

Blow-by gases from combustion "blow by" the worn rings down into the crankcase block and have to escape due to the increased pressure so they take the path of least resistance--thru the closest piston with worn rings and into the head and valve cover or up through the oil return journals causing the "oil spitting". BB gases can also travel into the valve cover thru worn Valve Guides and VG seals, and even if the VG seals are new.

The "spitting oil" leads me to think that you have a problem with at least one cylinder causing the spitting as the cylinder fires. You have either worn valve guides and seals, a warped head surface or a warped block face or worn piston rings. Did you check the surface of the head and the block with a straight edge for warpage. That would cause blow-by gases to enter the valve cover via the leak caused by a worn valve guide, warped head or block face.

Does the engine idle smoothly? Any backfiring means a burnt valve or warped head allowing hot gases to reach an adjacent cylinder. What do the plugs look like? They all should be light brown w/out any oil fouling if the engine cylinder compression and combustion is correct in each cylinder. Since it did get HOT "overheat", the above warpage may exist or the rings in one or more cylinders are shot.

Do the dry/wet compression test and it will tell you what is wrong. If you have closed cooling, an exhaust gas anylizer would tell you if the head gasket failed again due to warpage.

Use a vacuum gauge and follow the directions on how to interpret what the gauge is telling you. Your engine should pull 18-22" of vacuum at idle and the gauge needle should not be jumping around. The jumping around indicates several problems which are explained in the instructions or the boat engine manual.

Also connect an oil pressure test gauge directly to the engine and get an accurate pressure reading. Low oil pressure would indicate worn engine bearings from the overheating and/or a failing oil pump.

Overheating the engine for a minute can destroy the rings and main bearings. My straight 6 Ford Mustang overheated back in 1970 on the interstate in Tenn. The engine would start but had no power. I watched them dismantle the engine. When each piston was pulled, the rings fell off in pieces. It doesn't take much heat to ruin the bearings either. When the crank was pulled, the main crank bearings were melted flat from the intense heat.

Your engine is 21 years old. It can't run forever without parts wearing out. I think the overheating did more damage than you think. If the tests for compression and oil pressure show failing rings and bearings, bite the bullet and repower. It will put you back on the water for a long time w/o more failing parts.

I hope I gave you some insight where to look. It has to be warpage and/or rings. Let me know what you find. Guy"

Back