"I have an Alpha 1 3 liter 88’

"I have an Alpha 1 3 liter 88’, It has an intermittent problem where
the volt meter will read about 13 volts during normal cruising, than all
of a sudden it will pin the needle at over 16 volts, slight drop in
engine power and it will stay at 16+ volt until it is brought down to an
idle for a few seconds or more. Voltage regulator? Alternator? Like I
said it is intermittent but is happening very often when cruising."

"Two thoughts. 1) voltage

"Two thoughts. 1) voltage reg. Most of the time they are built into the alternator though. If you replace, don't use an automotive alternator. 2) make sure you test the voltage with a test meter as you may have a questionable gage. Excessive voltage may roast radios, bulbs and other electronics."

"Ted: I agree with David; reg

"Ted: I agree with David; regulator is failing. You can test the output very easy while cruising by yourself if there is a cigar or 12V outlet.

Get an inexpensive pocket digital voltmeter from Radio Shack about $8. Take an old or new tapered spark plug cover and insert it into the outlet, then insert the red test lead thru the center of it until it makes contact with the center of the outlet. Now connect the black lead to the ground case of the outlet by loosening a screw and tightening it on the test lead or use a gator clip. Set the volt meter on the 25 to 50 volt DC scale and watch the reading. It should read about 14.5 Volts at WOT and between 12.1 to 14.5 volts at idle. There should be a steady reading with slight 0.1 to 0.2 volt fluctuations but not to 16 volts.

The more electrical items on at idle will drop the voltage but it should stay above 12 volts if the battery is fully charged. The voltage reading will be very accurate with a digital meter. Consistent readings over 14.8 volts on a fully charged battery spells dying regulator.

I don't think the gauge is bad since the regulator keeps the alt. output under 15 volts. If it was bad, it would read consistently wrong.

Remove the ground wires from your batteries before changing the alternator. Clean all the connectors before putting them back. I rub the connectors with an anti-corrosion felt battery post saver; red or green."

Back