Logo

Prop questions

pa_boater

"Thanks again for all your hel

"Thanks again for all your help, this site is great. I just bought an 88 bayliner capri with a 2.3 liter OMC. I like to waterski and am trying to learn to barfoot. (yes, a little under powered but I am light and small and aunt matilda stays on the dock!)

so...

1. How do I tell what the pitch of my current prop is?

2. What is the best prop to use? I have two conflicting interests, Hole shot and top speed.

3. Do stainless steel props really make a diff? and why?

4.What about dolfin fins on the outdrive?

Thanks,

Joe"

"Check the prop for some kind

"Check the prop for some kind of numbers, sometimes on the rear hub of the prop, sometimes on the senter section, different manufactures use different numbers.

Boating is all about compromise and the prop is a compromise. Hole shot and top end just don't go together. What you want is a prop that will get you in the top end RPM range (your engine 5200-5600 RPM)

Stainless in my opinion can give marginal better performance as they won't flex like aluminum however they take too kindly to rocks and logs and can cause lower unit damage unlike aluminum

The hydrofoils like the dolfin can sometimes help by popping you on plane quicker but sometimes actually hurt performance. Another idea that several people have been using with very good results are the "Smart Tabs" they get you up on plane quicker, allow you stay on plane at lower speeds increasing efficiency, do a google on them, they have a website."

"For holeshot and performance

"For holeshot and performance try to get a performance based prop like the new apollo by Michigan wheel (i love mine!) and get the smallest diameter for a given pitch. The smaller diameter will help gain back some RPM the higher pitch takes away and the cup on the blades and quicker spool on the prop will give you the best of both worlds. Plus the apollo has holes behind each blade to relieve exhaust so it is less likely to cavitate on holeshot. If you want holeshot and top speed, stainless is the only way to go. Stianless props are stronger and have less blade deflection so it bites better for holeshot and won't distort for top end speed."

"If the rig does not reach som

"If the rig does not reach some 35-40 mph as is, I think an investment in new prop is a waste and barefoot dancing at sea a dream."

"Thanks for your reply's,

"Thanks for your reply's,
I am already on my feet but it would be nice to have accurate speed readings. I think it is reaching 35-40, at least it feels as fast as the outboards I am used to. Is it likely that the speedo is off or blocked? Any way to clean the feed tube or check if it is working right?

Thanks
Joe"

"Try to buy/borrow a GPS to ge

"Try to buy/borrow a GPS to get an accurate/refference reading. As for the pitot tube and hose to the speedo,take it off from the instrument and blow backwards. Quite some times the hose is strapped up to tight together with the cable harness giving restrictions."

"Boat speedo's are not kno

"Boat speedo's are not known for their accuracy, it's just water pushing up a tube compressing the air at the head. Make sure the hose is a good tight fit at each end, if you have a way to blow air up through the hose at the transom you should see it move the speedo. Morten's idea of the hand held GPS is the best most accurate way outside of verifying your speed or you could install a fish finder with a paddle wheel speedo attachment, they are pretty accurate."

Back