Logo

470 wont run

jonriley56

"Hi,

I just got a '86 S

"Hi,

I just got a '86 Sportcraft with a 470 in it and I cant seem to make it run. I replaced the plugs, points, condenser, dist cap, plug wires and rotor.

I've got spark at the points. When I pump the throttle it sprays gas into the carb and I put in fresh gas.

I can get it to stumpble a bit, but it wont run. Any ideas ? The SN is 6713627 if that helps understand the age.

Hope someone can help.

jon"

"I always use a few sprays of

"I always use a few sprays of carb cleaner into the carb before cranking hard to start engines that haven’t run in a while. Give that a try. Will also assure you have flammable fuel if you suspect you have stale gas in the tank.

Make sure you have a strong spark at the plugs.

Check the ignition timing. Make sure your distributor isn't 180 degrees out.

Make sure you have no obvious major vacuum leaks.

Tis all blocking and tackling. Need to have good fire, good fuel, and they need to be on time.

Good luck. Report back."

"If the engine has not been ru

"If the engine has not been run in a while, I have found that the lifters on these will hold the valve open. Run a compression test. If compression is not right, Change the oil, motor it over with out the plugs for about 45 sec. Wait 1/2 hour for the starter to cool and repeat. Test compression again. If there is a good change from the first test try and start it."

"Recheck the points dwell sett

"Recheck the points dwell setting, timimg and make sure the choke is closed on a cold engine. Spray a few shots of starting fluid into the ATTACHED CLEAN flame arrestor while someone cranks the engine. If it runs, you have bad fuel and/or dirty carb jets. The accel. pump should make a strong shot of fuel like turning a lever faucet on/off quickly; not a little spray."

"Hi,

I turned the motor ove

"Hi,

I turned the motor over without the plugs, brought the #1 piston too the top and checked to see if the rotor was pointing at the #1 plug wire, made sure it had gas, held the choke closed, still no dice.

I then pulled the valve cover (the bolts were only finger tight which was the first clue I was probably screwed). It has 5 bent push rods ! They are bent so badle they weren't even seeted in the rockers ! Looks like I bought an albatross.

I will have new rods tomorrow and will torque the rockers down to spec.

Any chance it will run if it seems to have had major trauma ?

jon

P.S. - New 30 weight oil too."

"Caveat emptor! Buyer beware.

"Caveat emptor! Buyer beware. Drive before you buy! Can you go back on the seller? Undisclosed damage known to the seller is a recourse you can persue in small claims or civil court. Check local courts. There is probably more damage inside. Maybe it ingested water while running?
If the boat stringers and transom are solid, get a reman. long block."

"Hi,

Guess I learned my les

"Hi,

Guess I learned my lesson. I actually had the pan off and the motor out replacing a rear main seal and it was very clean in side, no sign of water. Oil was black etc. (It turned out the oil leak was on the little plug in the block where the cam shaft is). Everything elkse on this motor looks great. It was donated to a university and it sat for a while.

Is it true that the heads on these are from a FOrd 460 ? Could I replace my head with one of those ?

jon"

It is a Ford 460 heat but has

It is a Ford 460 heat but has been modified for the cooling system. It is probably easier to get a head already built for the Mercruiser engine.

Back