Logo

Merc 150 Saltwater series vs red label series

R

Roy Valdez

" I bought a boat 2 weeks ago,

" I bought a boat 2 weeks ago, and am still waiting for my damn merc 150 saltwater outboard to come in. I've got two questions: 1) what are the differences between the 150 blue label salt water series, and the 150 red label outboard. I've talked with Merc, and some guy from their customer service dept. told me the only difference is the steering cable and/or some pin was made of stainless steel in the saltwater edition whereas in the regular edition, it was carbon steel. If this is true, would running a red label merc outboard in saltwater be a "bad" thing, especially if I flush it after each use? And question 2) what is the price difference between the two engines. The lady at the boat store said she would just give me a red label merc outboard instead of the saltwater edition instead, and I'm a little cautious of her "generous" offer. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate all comments/opinions. "

" Roy, the differences between

" Roy, the differences between the two motors, is basically the steering arm and tube on the Saltwater Series is as stated made out of stainless steel versus the carbon steel version in the standard motor and a few other corrossion resistant items. There is also a fresh water flushing port on the Saltwater series motor. Also most of the Saltwater series motors are extra long shafts (25") versus the standard engine (20")I would wait out the arrival of the Saltwater motor if you plan on using it in saltwater. The Saltwater series motors are more expensive, usually around $700, so don't accept the standard motor as a replacement. You should of thought about buying the Optimax version as they are more fuel efficient and more environmentally friendly. Yes, they are more expensive, but you will make back your money in a year from the reduced fuel bills. "

" Darren,
thanks for the info

" Darren,
thanks for the info! well my damn boat motor still hasn't come in, although the sales lady told me she got in a 150 Merc EFI, that she would "go ahead and pull a few strings and let me have", that is for an extra 1000 bucks. I pretty much told her to forget it, and give me my deposit back! I bought a boat really close to my home, with a Yamaha 115 on it. So after all this time, and as much as I learned about Mercury outboards, I went with a Yamaha, so now I've got to hit there web site to see what I can learn. I'm not happy about having to mix the oil, and not having a flush water connection on it, but from what I understand, Yami outboards are the best. thanks again for your info! "

" Roy, Yamaha also has a Saltw

" Roy, Yamaha also has a Saltwater series engine. The 115 you are refering to is the commercial model, basic engine. From my past experience, Yamaha's have held up better in saltwater. Goodluck. I would contact Mercury if I was you and find out what is happening, sometimes they make it worth your time, with a rebate or ext. warranty or something. "

Back