Logo

E10 gas

"E10 gas additive isn't al

"E10 gas additive isn't all that bad as some people claim to be. First ethanol does help burn and keeps the cylinders clean. Oh yea, and its good for the enviroment? lol Bad parts, if you have an older fiberglass fuel tank you need to replace it because it will eat thru. By older I mean made in early 80's. Second thing I've noticed thats bad is the stuff it leaves in the carb. Baiscally if the boat sits alot I think it eats up the tank alittle bit because I've notice some grey particals in the carbs, mostly on volvos if that makes sense. Also another bad thing which I forgot to mention is that ethanol is known to attract moisture which means water in the fuel. How to avoid that? Top off your fuel tanks and check your water/fuel seperator filter monthly. So there are alot of pros and cons with E10.
Cleaning out your fuel tank. Two different ways, if its easy to take out, pull it, drain it, rinse it, dry it. Upside down on an angle. The next way is easier but harder to get all the debris out is to pump it out."

Thanks for your help. I diconn

Thanks for your help. I diconnected my 33 year old 45gal aluminum tank and ran from a 6gal outboard tank and ran all weekend no problems. I'm goingto replace tank.Is polyethylene a good material tank or will E10 break that down also.

"On my boat, gas mileage decre

"On my boat, gas mileage decreased as did speed: she burns 1 GPH more to go 1 to 2 mph slower. No other changes--and it stirred up a bunch of crud that filled my filter. Thanks a lot, Federal and State government!

Jeff"

"Kirk:
Poly is a good tank;

"Kirk:
Poly is a good tank; I put a new one in mine this summer; just make sure there is room for it to expand with temp. increases and use rubber isolator strips on the bottom and sides if it is a tight fit. Got a great price from Overton's out of N. Carolina. It came with a sending unit installed. I coated the wire connections with liquid electric tape to prevent corrosion.

DON'T NEGLECT changing the fuel fill & vent hoses with marine grade fuel lines and put a new ground wire on the fill inlet to the tank inlet. Polyethylene is capable of generating static electricity--that's why you need a new 14-16 gauge multi-stranded ground wire.

Is the fuel pump 33 yrs. old? Mine was 19 yrs old, still worked, but I kept finding crap in the carb screen filter. Changed the pump for prevention sake and tore the old one apart. Found the vent outlet plugged with varnish from old fuel and the pump chambers full of granuals of varnish, corrosion particles and other crap.
It was worth $125 --got a new Carter pump at a NAPA store. Dealer wanted $275.00.

You'll need to turn the engine over until the cam lobe is opposite the push rod--then just slide it back as you set the pump. If you do not have a remote cranking switch, a helper hitting the starter a little bit at a time REALLY helps."

"If you don't have a remot

"If you don't have a remote switch, you can also use a test lead with alligator clips on it. Leave the one on the crank lead on the solenoid, then connect the other end to the battery post on the solenoid, briefly. It's not a high current task and there's no reason to worry about it, just don't leave the test lead end on the hot post."

"Thanks for the info I,m curre

"Thanks for the info I,m currently bidding on a fuel tank on Ebay for a 36 gallon tank with sending unit and fitting for about 100bucks"

Back