Logo

Chcking the oil in a VP 250

D

Dale Nulph

"I've got an OLD(1970&

"I've got an OLD(1970)Glastron 177 with a V-P 250 outdrive. This is my first I/O. How do I check the oil in this thing, it only has one hole that I can find.
Thanks in advance, Dale"

"Thanks E.P. that's just w

"Thanks E.P. that's just what I was looking for. It's dry. I'll look throught the previous posts for the correct lube,, but I'm guessing it's the same as the engone oil. I'm running Castrol 10-40 right now, but may go to synthetic. I had to "delete"/"bypass" the oil cooler and I was told synth would be a better choice. I say I had to,, actually I figured 500 bucks for a cooler insert was WAY too much to spend on a boat I paid 500 bucks for, LOL. I'm not pulling skiers or tubes or anything heavier than a BIG Rapala so I'm not tooo concerned. So,, 10-40?"

"10W-40 will do for the outdri

"10W-40 will do for the outdrive. Make sure that you drain first the oil you have in now (to make sure there is no debris on it), there is a plug at the bottom for this purpose. The outdrive oil capacity is over 2 quarts."

"Geez, I'm sorry,, but the

"Geez, I'm sorry,, but the next stupid question would be: do they REALLY expect me to refill the lower unit via the dipstick hole?
BTW, the oil looked pretty good considering it hasn't been checked/changed in over 8 years."

"Most of the older outdrives &

"Most of the older outdrives (250 to 290) do have a plug above the shift mechanism, which you remove to fill the outdrive with oil. You will have to remove the shift cover to find out if this is the case with your outdrive.

If this is not the case, you can either pump the oil through the drain hole with the aid of a pump (like in Mercruisers) or use the smaller hole for the dipstick. In either case, you will be able to fill the outdrive with oil, but in the last two cases it just takes a bit longer.
biggrin.gif
"

"LOL, guess I shoulda stuck ar

"LOL, guess I shoulda stuck around for your next post. Yup, it does take awhile filling it through the dipstick hole. I couldn't find a funnel small enough so I punched a small hole through an oil bottle cap and shoved a piece of aquarium tubing in it, turn the bottle upside down, cut the bottum off and SLOOOOOWLY poured. After about an hour and a half my wife came out and said, "why don't you use a turkey baster?". Damn them females for always makin' us look dumb. Well the turkey baster did the trick, it was full is a few minutes with fresh Castrol 10-40(about 2 3/4 qts).
While I was fartin' around with that project I mounted my new kicker mount, I'm READY to fish.
Thank you VERY much Fisherman, Dale"

"You are welcome, Dale. Also,

"You are welcome, Dale. Also, I'm glad that the technical assistance you got from your better half allowed you to finish your project faster
lol.gif
."

Back