Logo

Heavy Steering Gear AQ130270

uno759

Contributing Member
"Could anyone kindly give me s

"Could anyone kindly give me some tips and hints on how best to lighten up the steering gear. When I disconnect the two 270 outdrives the steering gear is fine, then connect the 1st outdrive and it gets quite heavy but when both are connected it is a two handed job to force the helm from one side to the other. Im aware that the stern drives are quite heavy but am sure that it should,nt be this hard. Its as if the drives are stiff infact the starboard drive feels far heavier and stiffer than the port. Is there a way of releasing a little of the tension on the actual sterndrives to enable less strain on the steering gear ? Help please. Don't really want to look at a hydrolic system until ive fully investigated the reason for them being both so stiff and difficult to turn 1st."

"This might be bad news, but n

"This might be bad news, but normally the only way is to take down the steering shaft, clean, change bushings and not to forget clean out the grease channel in the shafts so You may be able to lubricate them by the grease fitting on top. May be quite a job, drives must off and shafts pressed down.(from the inside). If You do the job before they really gets stuck, You may not have to remove the transom plates!"

What do u mean take down the s

What do u mean take down the shafts ? would this be the housing ect from the inside ? Im lost. Please explain in a little more detail ?

"You need to remove the drives

"You need to remove the drives. take out the screw that secures the steering arm on the inside to the SHAFT that goes through the transom mount to the drive on the outside. I suggest You get a manual to get a better wiev. The job itself is not difficult, but corrosion may create problem getting things apart."

Back