Logo

NEWS on our 86 Bayliner with 275 penta aq131a

junieb247

"Guess who was zooming around

"Guess who was zooming around the lake today with their fully operational stern drive??
lol.gif
The pawl is latching, the boat is planing and we are happy.

Yes, still have to install the exhaust outlet, but volvo forgot the screw for it in our shipment... Yes, still need to remove the fork pins and clean then put in new bushings (will arrive with screw and water hose housing). But, by golly, we had our 15 yr old son out on the tube and the speed was great. If the boat picked up and planed out fast, like a ski boat, it probably could pull a skiier. That isn't our aim, but it sort of lets you know the speed we think we are getting. We are using the prop. specified in the owner's manual and are thinking we are doing 35 mph...maybe.

Don't know how fast we actually are going because the speedometer is not working (nor is the oil pressure guage) and now we have to find out about that. We see the wiring diagram, but they don't make a whole lot of sense if you never read one before. If anyone has a link, knows of somewhere to find instructions, or if you KNOW, please share that with us. Our instrument panel doesn't look like anything in the Stern Drive manual, but it might be relative, right? If we can figure out where all the stuff is? Don't see a speedometer, though.

Here is a pic of one similar to what ours looks like...ours has all the same toggles and buttons, but the guages are different. We have Tach (RPM), Temp., Oil Pres., Speedometer and Fuel. Can you help us find out more about this?

25421.jpg

Going back to the lake tomorrow, before the season is OVER!! Thanks to YOU and your great advice."

"Glad you folks have your boat

"Glad you folks have your boat running.

There is no mystery with speedometer wiring. The signal comes from the + of the ignition coil (usually a gray wire), the other wires are a (+) from the battery, a (-) to ground, and another wire to the light. Just make sure that you select in the speedometer the right number of cylinders for your engine.

The oil pressure gauge has a sender in the engine, which sends the signal to the gauge (usually a light blue wire). The gauge has attched the sender signal wire, a (+) wire from the battery, a (-) wire to ground, and a wire for the light."

"El Pescador:
I think You are

"El Pescador:
I think You are mixing tachometer and speedometer. Tachs are like You describe, speedometers of the kind shown normally has a water pressure pick up tube at the transom and a hose connected to the back of the speedometer. No wires needed except for the instrument lights.
As for the oil pressure instruments it depends whether the engine has a pressure sensor or a pressure switch or even perhaps one with a double function (min 2 wires required). To check, just hook up an ohm meter to the switch/sensor. Read of with engine stopped. Continuity means normally switch. Start the engine, if open circuit switch, if still resistance but different from engine stopped = sensor."

"You are right, Morten: I read

"You are right, Morten: I read "tachometer" instead of "speedometer". I guess I worked too many hours yesterday.
blush.gif
"

"El Pescador:
Just prooves th

"El Pescador:
Just prooves that we are human!
Well, time for You to 'take over' I am soon giving it the day! Sun is down and time to enjoy the tropical night!
I'll check in again tomorrow, and watch Your 'back'."

"86 AQ131A - If anyone has any

"86 AQ131A - If anyone has any ideas please respond:
I was crusing across the lake and engine began running rough then ran fine. The next time I took it out it ran very rough. I removed all gas and replaced with new gas, fuel filter had some fine debrie. Removed carburator and cleaned it. Ordered new fuel pump and spark plugs. Will put those on next week. I'm perplexed!!"

"Bayliner 86 AQ131A/275- Runni

"Bayliner 86 AQ131A/275- Running rough all of a sudden.
If anyone has any ideas please respond:
I was crusing across the lake and engine began running rough then ran fine. The next time I took it out it ran very rough. I removed all gas and replaced with new gas, fuel filter had some fine debrie. Removed carburator and cleaned it. Ordered new fuel pump and spark plugs. Will put those on next week. I'm perplexed!!"

"Bob, I don't know much, b

"Bob, I don't know much, but these guys are GREAT and have lots of experience. If I were you I would start a new discussion to see what they come up with!! They may not notice you down here on the list...
"

Back