Logo

Wanted info on shiftelect on IMP boat v6 OMC 1971

L

Larry Henry

"I just bought this boat. The

"I just bought this boat. The shift elect box for shifting gears has been taken apart. Parts are there but I can not figure how it goes back. Has cable still on it. With an electrical cord that fits in it some how. Then runs back to motor somewhere. Please send to me in EMAIL a page or two showing how this goes back togather.
[email protected]

Please put "Boat" in subject line. Thanks"

"Larry,

If you supply the m

"Larry,

If you supply the model number of the engine, I can supply an OMC service manual for the engine... but I am not clear from your description what "shift elect box" you are talking about.

If you need a manual let me know.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
MarineEngine.com"

" The throttle and shifter tha

" The throttle and shifter that fits on inside next to steering wheel of boat. It's called Shift Elect made bye outboard marine, pat\ # 2884109 , I need to know how to fit this back together and where the electrical controlcord fits in it and how. Thanks "

"I found another elect shifter

"I found another elect shifter and installed it this day. 2-20-02 , Motor started and sounded good. Shift to drive did not work. Shift to reverse works good.
Trying to figure what should be my next step to fix this problem [email protected]"

"Larry.... I/Os are not my lin

"Larry.... I/Os are not my line of expertise but the electric shift set up is something that would apply to any OMC product that has an electric shift lower unit. At the engine/outdrive section, look for a cable that leads to the lower unit assy. It will no doubt have two rubber boot insulators that you can slide back that will expose two wires (1 Green, 1 Blue) that will be connected to other like wires with knife connectors. If you have the straight electric shift type lower unit (which I suspect you do), applying 12v to one wire will engage forward gear, 12v to the other wire would engage reverse.

With the ENGINE NOT RUNNING and with the ignition key in the ON POSITION, check to see if you have those voltages to the proper wire when you engage the shift handle.

EXTREME CAUTION HERE! If the above aspect is okay or even if it isn't, you can check the lower unit itself for proper shifting by having the engine running, and using a jumper wire, apply 12v to one wire (just momentarily) that leads to the lower unit and then the other. The unit should jump into either gear mode when you apply that voltage. If it doesn't, obviously a problem exists within the lower unit. Hope this info is of some use to you.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Thanks Joe
More help neede

Thanks Joe
More help needed
Disconnected the shift elect switch plug in. Tested green wire coming from rear lower unit and found it was still hot with power???? yet I had no power hooked to it??
Would the forward coil in lower unit be able to short out and feed back power to this green wire?
Is there something else that could be shortin out to cause this to happen?

"Larry..... Anything is possib

"Larry..... Anything is possible. However, are you sure that you've got the correct "Green Wire?"

The "Blue and Green" wire that leads to that lower unit should be together in one cable, seperating for only a few inches to enable the connections.

Joe
"

" Joe... yes I have the corre

" Joe... yes I have the correct wire of green. On the connection to shifter are Green, Purple, Blue and two whites wires. These come from the shifter to the the connection joint under dash.
As I said before.
When I disconnected the joint cuppling. Then put a light tester on the green wire that runs towards rear of boat. It was hot....
Now the blue reverse wire was not hot at time. Only white wire ends and green wire end that stuck out of the socket were still hot..
Don't make no sense to me. lol sorry. Have to laugh about this. "

" I am a new boat owner here.I

" I am a new boat owner here.I have a 22.5 fiberform with an omc power set up,and my question is can i just disconnect the wires from my shift lever and install a rocker type switch,with 3 positions,forward,neutral and reverse?
What are the white wires for? "

where do the two white wires g

where do the two white wires go on the remote control 1975 omc 165hp i/o

SCOTT the two white wires come

SCOTT the two white wires comes from the starter switch and to the starter. Its make sure u are not gear when u start the engine. I would try to find a new switch or hook up a light that turns on when u are in gear

Back