Logo

Props

C

chris king

i have a glastron 168 with a 3

i have a glastron 168 with a 3.0 140 mercruiser and want to try some different props im running a 19 pitch now and get a top speed of 37 mph i want to see what a 21 and a 23 will do but i dont no weather the engine will cope anyone think they no how fast it will go? chris

"There are to many varables to

"There are to many varables to give an exact MPH
or knots...But you must match tne engine rpm
to the prop pitch and dia. that is most important.
a excellent prop will be a compromise top speed to how fase you get their. over reving is as bad as engine labor. Get a prop to match engine rpm.
the easy way to incres top end is strip the bottom paint off and wax the bottom. check the top prm and them go after a prop. you can not leave it in the water, but it will be fast}"

"If you are running 4500 to 48

"If you are running 4500 to 4800 RPM now at WOT, you won't gain any more speed with more pitch. What will happen is your engine will bog down and it will take longer to plane and reach top speed. If you are not reaching 4500 RPM at WOT, you should go down to a 17" pitch or lower to get the RPM's up at top speed. This will help overall performance."

"i had a similar boat and engi

"i had a similar boat and engine as you do and the 19 was the best overall prop. my 19 prop ran at about 35 mph, i borrowed my buddies 23 pitch stainless steel prop just to see how fast i would go, i was alone in boat and the water was like glass, the boat took off very slow but once i got it opened up and the bow trimmed up real high i got it going 48 mph. while this was fun it was not practical because with any weight in boat or even a little bit of waves it would not get out of its own way, but it was fun."

Back