Logo

HOW MUCH OR HOW LITTLE FUEL FOR THE WINTER

carlnap

Contributing Member
HEY GUYS I KEEP HEARING MIXED

HEY GUYS I KEEP HEARING MIXED OPINIONS ON HOW MUCH FUEL TO KEEP IN THE TANK WHEN STORING IT FOR THE WINTER. IS IT BETTER TO FILL IT TO THE BRIM WITH A STABILIZER OR LEAVE IT AT ABOUT A 1/4 WITH A STABLIZER AND WHY???

If I recall my "Offical Me

If I recall my "Offical Merc Manual" says to fill the tank and add a stablizer to it if it is a non-alcohol fuel. If it is a fuel w/ alcohol then run it to 1/4 tank with stablizer. I believe the alcohol attracts moisture and may be a little hard on some of the rubber and plastic components when it sits for extended amounts of time. The other arguement is that if you only have 1/4 tank of gas that goes bad over the winter you could add enough fresh gas to burn through it. If you have a full tank of bad gas then you'll have more trouble getting rid of it. When I used to own a bass boat I would always run as much gas of of it as i could and add stabil to it. When spring hit I will fill it full along with a fuel system cleaner and go on.

"Dont think we addressed the &

"Dont think we addressed the "why" part. If you have less than a full tank, the expansion and contraction associated with temp changes invites air into the tank along with moisture, which then condenses on the walls of the tank. Results is water collecting at the bottom of the tank. A full tank eliminates the room for air and therefore moisture."

"I know that conventional wisd

"I know that conventional wisdom and advice says top the tank off and add stabilizer.
Not being one to worry about good advice, for years I have left my boat in the boathouse with whatever gas was left in it at the end of the season, typically 1/4 to 1/2 full, for the winter season of about 8 months. When I first put her back into the water in the spring I fill her up with fresh gas and go. Never a problem so far.
Go figure."

I guess the general consensus

I guess the general consensus which is to top it off and add a stabilizer.Thanks Guys!! Back to the statement made buy t.blackmore about filling the tank with non-alcohol. when they say the gas has 10% ethonal is that okay. Cause i know its a type of alcohol????

"ethonal is alcohol. I would a

"ethonal is alcohol. I would avoid it over the winter months for storage, but you may not have a choice. Doubt its a big deal. I've been doing what Rod Stewart says for years as well."

I wonder what is a differance

I wonder what is a differance between American and European fuel. "Winter" season in Poland last about 6-7 months (October to May). Last winter I addded fuel stabilizer but before I have never did that. Honestly I have never say again never had any fuel problems. In Europe we have 95 and 98 and 101 octane gas. They add also ethanol to it. May be that is the case. I only wonder.
Greg

Back