Logo

AQ131 running hot

K

KN Kai

"Hello, I am a new boat owner

"Hello, I am a new boat owner of an older boat with a volvo AQ131 which seems to be running hot (250 degrees). I did have it serviced by the local volvo dealer and he said the saltwater pump and impeller were working fine and that these older models run a little hot but not to worry. I took it out this weekend and it ran well with no problems at 250 degrees. Bad thermostat maybe? If anyone had this same problem with their AQ131 and could give me some info I would really appreciate it. Thanks"

"Check the raw water hose conn

"Check the raw water hose connector in your outdrive intermediate housing. It has a clamshell shape and looks like a thermostat housing. If it is corroded, replace it. These hose connectors are the cause of a large number of cooling problems in Volvo AQs. This is how the hose connector looks like:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2778&returntopage= 80240788.htm

With due respect for your Volvo dealer's opinion, I would get concerned once the coolant temperature reaches 200ºF. Your thermostat is fully open at 198ºF, so go figure."

ive got the same engine and ac

ive got the same engine and actually mine was running around 275 ive changed the imepeller the theramostat and the alternator belt and i have her around 235. i have backflushed the system and checked all the hoses. I cant get her any lower and i had her running about 10 hours on saturday with no problems. I would recommend if u ahvent replaced ur impeller or ur belt to do both of those if they havent been done in awhile.

"Tim, what was the condition o

"Tim, what was the condition of the exhaust manifold? If more than 4-5 years old (especially if the boat is running in salt water), exhaust manifolds can be a source of trouble if they have not been boiled, as the cooling passages have a tendency to clog around the riser."

I've spoken to the volvo d

I've spoken to the volvo dealer mechanic and he seems to think that the sending unit may be bad because if it was really running at 250 it would have been boiling over. I quess we start there and see if the problem resolves or move to the next possible problem. Thanks guys. The more info the better.

Concerning the water intakes o

Concerning the water intakes on the drive. There is a hole at the very bottom of the drive. The previous owner mentioned a plug to use when flushing. Any info will be greatly appriciated.

"Some people plug that hole &#

"Some people plug that hole (with a BIC pen cap, for example) when using a garden hose and ears. Personally, I don't. In any case, I prefer to submerge the outdrive in a large pail full of water and keep filling that pail with a garden hose while I test the engine."

Does anyone have a link to a d

Does anyone have a link to a diagram or picture of where the thermostat sending unit is located on the engine?

"El Pascador,
I have an AQ131

"El Pascador,
I have an AQ131 volvo penta that has the oil trap hose stick up through the intake manifold. light blue smoke comes out of this hose and enters the air intake for the carburator and makes the engine run terible. I do not have a flame arrest so I was wondering if i could extend this hose and blow it out the blower of the exhaust for my engine box. Is it normal for smoke to be coming from this hose?"

"The crankcase vent always has

"The crankcase vent always has some blow-by, but excessive blow-by is an indication of worn piston rings/cylinder walls. You may be reaching the point where your engine may need rebuilding."

i have had those heating probl

i have had those heating problems on my aq131c just ask EL PESCADOR with his experence of this motor i have fixed my problem but it was not easy i have replaced the hose connectoron the out drive also i have boiled out ex manafold replace thermastat changed all hoses and belts all this was not nearly as much trouble or money then what it ewill cost you if you donot do all of this !! now my boat rins around 190 degrees and that wide open listem to EL PESCADOR HE KNOWS WHAT HES SAYING PEOPLE !!!!!!

Dennis

"El, looks as though you are c

"El, looks as though you are correct. #3 and #4 pistons were low when i did a compression check. also did a wet check and compression went up so the rings are coming out. thanks for the help i appreciate the advice."

"does anybody know what an ove

"does anybody know what an overhaul kit should cost for a 1989 Volvo Penta AQ 131D. I was Quoted around $1000.00 just for parts. Does this sound high and is there anywhere i could get it cheaper. Also El I was wondering if a 1986 AQ 125 intake manifold or just the carburater, would bolt up to a 1989 131D."

"Barry, I suggest you try thes

"Barry, I suggest you try these guys (even if to get a first idea), they have a 1-800 number:

http://www.chapmanmotors.ca/partslist.html

Also, instead of rebuilding your engine, you may want to consider using an automotive engine in good condition and transplanting to it all the marine parts you have. The guys from Chapman can give you some hints regarding this matter.

Regarding your last question, all Volvo OHC engines have the same intake manifold bolt pattern, so intake manifolds can be interchanged. However, keep in mind that the AQ125 manifold is for one carb, while the AQ131 is for twin carbs."

Back